Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 57891011 ... LastLast

Thread: This Month's Haul: It's April....fools!

1. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Except neither of those games are better than Dragon's Trap.
    Perhaps, but they're quite good. I would love to see them get the remaster treatment.

2. I sold the US version of Real Bout 2 many years ago and regret it since. I finally found a reasonably priced JPN cartridge. Time to GET IN THE RINK!

Click for full size
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kingoffighters; 23 Apr 2017 at 11:13 PM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Except neither of those games are better than Dragon's Trap.
    I like Monster World as much as Dragon's Trap, maybe a little more. Monster Land is a very cool game too

4. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I've been enjoying relearning the ins and outs of the ACA Samurai Shodown rerelease! Never ever try to throw the CPU characters!
    Especially Earthquake. There's also no point in ever pressing the button during the disarming clashes (or whatever they are called) since they are completely random.
    Last edited by Brianvgplayer; 22 Apr 2017 at 07:50 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    I sold the US version of Real Bout 2 many years ago and regret it since. I finally found a reasonably priced JPN cartridge. Time to GET IN THE GAME!

Click for full size

Dat cover artwork. RIP SNK.

6. Grabbed Volgar the Viking since it was like a buck. Tried it briefly, HOLY CRAP thats a tough game! I do not think I'll see the end of it outside of watching a speedrun.

7. The normal path isn't bad once you get a feel for the controls and level layouts. The hard path is Brutal: Paws of Fury, though.

The first thing you should do is go into options, set the Zoom Out button to Toggle, and play the entire game zoomed out*.

* There's no option for this if you're playing the junky Vita port.

8. Volgar's habit of making you redo practically the entire level every time you die pissed me off so I stopped playing it.

9. Git gud.

10. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I picked up a sealed copy of Super Skweek ($15) for the Atari Lynx. It was at a store called Game Over. They just opened up 4 stores in the DFW area. I believe I shopped at one in California a couple of years ago.

While I was there, the manager started shooting the breeze with me about the 2600 and how his 1st videogame was on a C64 that was a hand me down from his dad. He then started talking about a C64 bundle he had gotten at a recent gaming convention here in Dallas. I decided to check it out, and I was sort of blown away. He had this C64c bundle that had the computer and the disk drive in mint boxes inside of a slightly worn bigger box. I didn't think that these kind of bundles existed in North America. It was missing the video cable and the manual, but it had the original power brick and white cords. He didn't know if it worked, so I helped him set it up and told him that we could test it with an old Model 1 Genesis cable and pad. I helped him load (I began to question if he ever owned a C64) a couple of games to test it and inquired about how much he was going to sell it for. He said he had to report it to corporate, and it would take about 2 weeks. I gave the guy a business card, and asked if he could call me when he gets a price. He said he wasn't allowed to do that, because their policy is 1st come 1st serve. I'm thinking to myself: Thanks buddy, I just helped you test this, told you I lived on the other side of town, and you can't even throw me a solid?
    Alright, so it has been two weeks. I had a job about 7 miles down the road from the Game Over store, so I decided to drop by to see if they had come up with a price. The manager wasn't there, but this cute girl was working at the store. I told her that I was there a couple of weeks ago, and that the manager had said that he would have a price from corporate on a C64. She said that they had just received the price, and I was quite surprised to find out that they only wanted $99 for it. I was expecting them to jack up the price to about $150-$200. It was still in the back, and had not yet been put on the sales floor, so I was pretty fortunate to get the jump on this sweet deal.

The box is a little beat up, but I've yet to see one that isn't.

This was originally sold at some store called Hills. It was marked down to $299 and I'm guessing this was somewhere around 1989-1990.

The boxes for the 64c and 1541-II are in pretty good shape. The manuals are missing, but I already have a set from another boxed 64c.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gamevet; 24 Apr 2017 at 08:45 PM.