Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Play Copyright Infringement.

1. That's kind of funny considering how much stuff is copied from other artists to begin with.

2. In what reality does restoring an old vehicle have anything to do with the topic at hand?
    I like where ARBM went with it. Other forms of media are protected against public broadcast, why arent games (especially recent ones?)

3. I guess the loophole is that it is interactive entertainment, while a movie (technically) is not.

4. Don't you dare play that new Korg keyboard on stream. Those instrument samples are copyrighted.

5. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    I watched all of Life is Strange on twitch. Didn't buy it because why would I now? I get their argument, I just don't know the solution. You can't arbitrate on game by game basis. It's too big of a platform.
    Part of fair use doctrine is whether or not it undermines the commercial interests of the product, so in that sense it could actually be different from game to game, depending on what the nature f the game is.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    In what reality does restoring an old vehicle have anything to do with the topic at hand?
    You're asking if streaming encourages or discourages sales.

7. People will say things like "where do you draw the line?"

When you are controlling what in shown on the screen. That's the line. Right there. Lets Play aren't just narative over some other constant thing like a show or a movie; which are always the same, it's someone talking about what they're doing with an interactive product that they actively control and manipulate in real time.

These lawsuits are bullshit and I hope developers lose more sales from looking like assholes.

8. Hogwash. All games might be interactive, but there are games where the story is the only reason to buy the game. I don't play or care for these games, but plenty of people do, and I wouldn't certainly ever buy one of these games if I could just watch someone else play. I think it should be up to the developers based on what kind of game it is. Some games can benefit from let's play, but those that are all story will not.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    People will say things like "where do you draw the line?"

When you are controlling what in shown on the screen. That's the line. Right there. Lets Play aren't just narative over some other constant thing like a show or a movie; which are always the same, it's someone talking about what they're doing with an interactive product that they actively control and manipulate in real time.

These lawsuits are bullshit and I hope developers lose more sales from looking like assholes.
    There really is a line. There are a lot of "games" these days where the "interaction" is literally just walking from point A to point B until a cinema or voice over comes up. The entire point of the games is the story. They are also like 3-4 hour experiences that someone could watch in one sitting. It really is not that much different from posting Avengers 3 or whatever on Youtube on opening weekend.

I don't like them, I don't buy them, but I also don't watch them on Twitch.