Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Let's Play Copyright Infringement.

1. I agree.

2. Let's Plays obviously have a big demand, and the market is going to have to adjust to accept that. Like music downloads and Uber. It's definitely more sinister since Let's Plays have become able to be monetized. I've been watching gameplay footage, speedrunning, etc for years, but thanks to Twitch and YouTube have people been able to really profit off of this stuff.

I think game companies are entitled to choose how that footage is being used if it's being monetized. They are entitled if it's not monetized, too, but it's definitely more of a gray area there.
    One development that has been interesting is that on YouTube, if you use licensed music, that can be automatically detected and monetization can be funneled to the license holder. Game companies should be getting monetization for Let's Plays.
    It's like, say you want to have a Street Fighter tournament. As a small, local group, you could set something up and you're not going to cause an impact. But if you're Nintendo hosting a Street Fighter tournament, you're not going to be able to do that without Capcom's involvement.
    I don't see how a Let's Player with an audience of millions should be able to get away with using other people's content.

Before Let's Play, YouTube had a lot of animators making money off of copyrighted characters in the same way. See the Game Grumps, they started with Nintendo cartoon "parodies", and when YouTube changed their payouts to favor long content they went to Let's Plays which are cheap to produce lots of content.
    Now that everyone has a platform to produce content, enforcing copyright is going to be a lot harder, and how we view copyright will evolve as well.

3. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I don't like copyright enforcement.
    I find this sentiment coming from a creative person rather shocking. If you were to develop the next big cartoon, you'd have no issue with other people cashing in on it?

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Story driven games shouldn't be allowed. Fighting or games that are mechanics driven should be fine, except for the story mode I suppose. But no one buys the games for that so it probably won't matter too much.

And what is wrong with kids today that rather watch than actually play a game? Seems like a participation trophy disease.
    Cost and school pressure. You remember what it was like. There was a pressure back in school to know as much as the other kids. Or to know about the shows they liked. Or the games they liked. You didn't want to be left out.

But kids don't have infinite money.

There is no fucking telling how many kids are going to school, pretending to own all kinds of games, and they like own 2.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I find this sentiment coming from a creative person rather shocking. If you were to develop the next big cartoon, you'd have no issue with other people cashing in on it?
    I think Matt Groening watching the Simpsons bootlegs happen through his Life In Hell strip was a pretty good way to handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I don't want content creators to get fucked, but let's talk Chrono Trigger for example. No let's play that comes out this year can possibly effect sales on a game that hasn't been shipping new units in twenty years anyway. So how would you feel about a time frame? New games can't be live streamed or fully recorded without developer permission for X number of years or something like that?

Edit: to clarify I'm just trying to get your opinion since this is a nuanced as all hell situation and yes I understand and agree that Tetris is not Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. I'm not actually suggesting that as a solution I support fully though. My opinion is still that if you buy a thing that you control in real time, be it a kite or The Last of Us, you should be able to show people you doing that. I'm just curious when and where you place the line.
    This shit helps old game sales more than they hurt them. Youtube and twitch are bringing in lots and lots of kids that might not have known about these older titles.

7. I'd prefer the kids stay out, as well as the older asshats that youtube has brought into the hobbie.
    $300 for Mega Man 8...

The flipside is everyone forgets about it and it goes in the trash.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    This shit helps old game sales more than they hurt them. Youtube and twitch are bringing in lots and lots of kids that might not have known about these older titles.
    For sure.

I'm invested in a number of franchises moving forward that I wouldn't be if not for speedruns and play through videos grabbing my attention in the first place. I probably own a few dozens games only because of Games Done Quick marathons.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    The flipside is everyone forgets about it and it goes in the trash.
    While certainly games over the last 40 years were trashed, outside of a few truly rare items there was always enough to go around for everyone that wanted them at relatively decent prices.
    Not the case anymore. And guess what, old stuff is still getting trashed. A regular of mine works at a recycling center. He's scored a multitude of hard to find crap literally from the trash.