Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: avatar size

1. I'm willing to put in time to modernize the forums, just not for free

2. Quote Originally Posted by mollipen View Post
    I've done theme editing for us before, back when I did the pink skin, the low-rent mobile skin, and some other stuff. All message forum theme editing sucks, because of the weird ways developers put the files together. It just is what it is.
    For sure. I promise I'm not a Flarum shill - I liked the little bit of theming I did for it since they use proper MVC structure (as opposed to it having been retrofitted over sloppy code like PhpBB or vBulletin) but it was beta testing and it was only for a few friends and I to have discussions about Dungeons & Dragons stuff.

And look how small they are!Right now it's a lot of wasted space / things not being positioned for maximum use.
    Oh, don't mistake my criticism of the full screen browser thing as a dismissal of redesign/rework. I'm in favor of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    You need three monitors.
    At home, one monitor is all I need, and I put stuff in Spaces™ if things get cluttered. I don't think I've ever used more than 4, but still. One machine, many virtual monitors.

I full screen everything.

Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    I'm willing to put in time to modernize the forums, just not for free
    Not to step on your toes but I'd do it for free. Mainly because I hate figuring out how much to charge someone and the liabilities that come along with that. Heh.

3. I wasn't going to say anything, because the exchange to Canadian would make it virtually free anyway.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    Not to step on your toes but I'd do it for free. Mainly because I hate figuring out how much to charge someone and the liabilities that come along with that. Heh.
    no toes are stepped on, I just can't afford to put the time and effort required to convert the forums into something else... if nick ever shows up again and is fine with it, all the power to you

e: another thing to consider is that with these newer forum softwares they'll probably require php 7 (if they run on php) which as far as I know is incompatible with vbulletin, which would kinda screw over the other vbulletin installs hosted on this machine
    Last edited by cka; 15 May 2017 at 09:15 AM.

5. Why wouldn't you want the thing you're looking at to use the full display?
    Everything I do is either fullscreen, or snapped side by side.
    I don't need to see my desktop all the time.

6. I don't see the point of fullscreen for a text-based site where the content flows vertically.

One thing I really like about Windows is being able to snap the windows to the sides. Windows key + arrow left/right and I can move windows all over my 3-monitor setup. On my Windows 10 machine I can snap into the four corners, too.

I should be able to run the site like this:
    Click for full size

Text size is a simple change for the admin, just update the size in theme's CSS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sidebyside.PNG 
Views:	323 
Size:	643.8 KB 
ID:	80311  

7. Really, though, looking at that screenshot, the biggest thing that jumps out to me is all the one-line comments. I'd rather left-align the user info and shrink the avatar to fit more content on the screen.

I also hate sigs. That's what the user title is for.

8. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    no toes are stepped on, I just can't afford to put the time and effort required to convert the forums into something else... if nick ever shows up again and is fine with it, all the power to you

e: another thing to consider is that with these newer forum softwares they'll probably require php 7 (if they run on php) which as far as I know is incompatible with vbulletin, which would kinda screw over the other vbulletin installs hosted on this machine
    They need to get their act together. 7.1 is super stable and light years faster. But yeah, if there are other installs that would put a wrench in stuff.

Flarum is 5.5+, but also requires command-line access to install via Composer and whatnot. Last from me about Flarum.

9. avatar size

I don't think we need to make huge changes. I just want to be able to clean up the current theme, give us bigger avatars and text, and a few other redesign things potentially.

I don't need money or anything, I just need access again and the okay from Nick.
    Last edited by mollipen; 15 May 2017 at 12:31 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

10. Can search be fixed? It's not good.