Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Ball FighterZ (PC, PS4, One, Nintendo Switch)

1. Dragonball FighterZ 9001 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

2. Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I mean honesssstttllllyyyyy, it's like half the characters are pretty much the same. A lot of special moves have almost no use in netural, which means in the real game it doesn't really matter you have them. Tons of normals have insane amounts of overlap in function/hitboxes.
    I've been watching a ton of this game over the past few weeks. Character homogeneity was exactly my fear*, but I haven't heard anyone else talking about it. Same air dashes, same responses to air dashes, similar hit boxes on normals, all have universal overhead that work the same way, etc.

One way in which neutral looks like it varies takes little is in which assist you call to try to extend a block string, but even those are similar in "function/hit boxes." That's a bummer; I get why they want to universalize mechanics, but they could have retained all that fundamental sameyness while introducing variety in assist type and utility. That could have been the thing that distinguishes a Hit team from an Adult Gohan team.

In other words, the assist buttons seem to be good for one thing, which is the only thing all the other buttons are good for: combo and block string extension. This isn't MvC 2 where assists have distinct and fairly exclusive uses. Assists are just another normal, and all normals across all characters are the same.

* It's a fear if all I'm doing is watching for entertainment, but a boon if I actually buy the game because I'm not in a place where I can study frame data or put much time into learning a game...

3. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I've been watching a ton of this game over the past few weeks. Character homogeneity was exactly my fear*, but I haven't heard anyone else talking about it. Same air dashes, same responses to air dashes, similar hit boxes on normals, all have universal overhead that work the same way, etc.

One way in which neutral looks like it varies takes little is in which assist you call to try to extend a block string, but even those are similar in "function/hit boxes." That's a bummer; I get why they want to universalize mechanics, but they could have retained all that fundamental sameyness while introducing variety in assist type and utility. That could have been the thing that distinguishes a Hit team from an Adult Gohan team.

In other words, the assist buttons seem to be good for one thing, which is the only thing all the other buttons are good for: combo and block string extension. This isn't MvC 2 where assists have distinct and fairly exclusive uses. Assists are just another normal, and all normals across all characters are the same.

* It's a fear if all I'm doing is watching for entertainment, but a boon if I actually buy the game because I'm not in a place where I can study frame data or put much time into learning a game...
    Pretty much, they wanted to make it easy to learn 3 chars quickly. The universal mechanics are just REALLY strong and straightforwards to, its not like in GG where 6p is the universal anti air but varies greatly, i can barely tell the different between most chars shit, and my character has a sword.

On the upside though, the characters which seem to be getting the most play are the ones that have more to them. Cell, A16, A18, Trunks, Hit, and adult gohan are probably some of the most unique the game has to offer. Also captain ginyu. I would say now that I think about it about half the chars are shoto, and the other half is like 1/4 of a gg character.

The only mode I really play is the 3v3 party mode, that's a blast. I also use joy2key to make everyone player 1 and me and 2 friends queue in ranked, that way everyone can use their own assists while the other guy is playing. Quite a bit of fun.

Also, there is not real frame data you need to learn because everything is so homogenized. There is almost nothing that is +frames, overheads are 0, everything else is negative and its all stagger pressure.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

4. Anyone else playing on PS4? This game rules. Arc Sys finally made a game where you don't have to log weeks of training mode time before you can get a character anywhere close to match-ready. Autocombos can get you places, and even the optimal combos aren't very hard to learn (at least for my team (Goku Black, Android 16, Hit). And because just about everything is safe on block, frame data is pretty much worthless; you're not going to get counter hit into a 70% combo because you tried to punish something that looked unsafe, but didn't know your character's jab was one frame slower than most a la SF5. You don't really punish on block at all; you punish on reaction. And the way you do that is almost universally by pressing down+Hard when someone is doing an unsafe-on-startup-but-safe-on-block thing (super dash, vanish, universal overhead, etc.).

Just a really fun, approachable game that looks and sounds amazing. You can learn a three-person team in a weekend. That's not to say the skill ceiling is low, but rather that the entry barrier is.

5. I'm holding out for a deep sale, but it's so pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Yeah, I've seen fighting veterans rag on it because "you can master a character in a week", but that seems perfect for people like me who aren't going to devote our lives to it. I think it's a great game. i haven't purchased it yet, just played with friends in person.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

7. I haven't touched it in a week or so, but I intend to get back to it. It really is the most fun I've had with a fighting game in a long time. Which might not make it the BEST competitive fighter I've played in that time, but for the sort of person who only has so much time to devote to them, it's the perfect balance.

8. I picked up this game the same day MHW released, so I haven't spent much time with it.

Feels a lot like Treasure's Bleach games, with the easy combos and air dashes. Have they fixed the online yet? (I'm on PS4)
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

9. They are working on improving it... I think they patched it at least once.

Anyway, this weekend, Final Round is taking place. There has been a lot of buildup for the SonicFox vs Go1 DBZ match-up.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

10. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Anyone else playing on PS4? This game rules. Arc Sys finally made a game where you don't have to log weeks of training mode time before you can get a character anywhere close to match-ready. Autocombos can get you places, and even the optimal combos aren't very hard to learn (at least for my team (Goku Black, Android 16, Hit). And because just about everything is safe on block, frame data is pretty much worthless; you're not going to get counter hit into a 70% combo because you tried to punish something that looked unsafe, but didn't know your character's jab was one frame slower than most a la SF5. You don't really punish on block at all; you punish on reaction. And the way you do that is almost universally by pressing down+Hard when someone is doing an unsafe-on-startup-but-safe-on-block thing (super dash, vanish, universal overhead, etc.).

Just a really fun, approachable game that looks and sounds amazing. You can learn a three-person team in a weekend. That's not to say the skill ceiling is low, but rather that the entry barrier is.
    Not alll of that is true, a ton of moves are punishable, but its sitting inside like rekka mixups because everything is stagger pressured. I would say every normal is jab punishable except for jabs.

It's a very solid game for what it is (which is letting non fighting game people play a fighting game), i just have problems with the super dash.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life