Thread: The Evil Within 2 (PC, PS4, One)

The Evil Within 2 (PC, PS4, One)

It's a Shinji Mikami series. Stop sleeping on it!

2. The first game was one of the best, most intense, survival horror games I've ever played. I'm really looking forward to this sequel.

I had been holding off preordering this, but my next BBY reward cert triggered today, so it was go time.

6. I played up to Chapter 4 last night, and this is one hell of a game so far. I'm not sure if it's as good as the first one, because I usually find open world games make me stray too far from the actual narrative of the game. One thing I do like about the open world here, is that you can actually wander into areas that you're not equipped to face yet, and you'll get absolutely clobbered. So, you really have to weigh, "do I really want to go exploring for more weapons/ammo? Do I want to risk wandering into a horde of zombies or a boss fight that I'm not prepared for? Or, should I just make a beeline for the next story objective?"

Also, at first, this game seemed nowhere near as difficult as the first game, but now the difficulty seems on par with it. There are just some random areas in the open world, where the game really sticks it to you, and it gets really tough. I enjoy how this series isn't afraid to present the player with a true challenge.

7. When you get in sticky situations can you just run away to a safe area? Do they block you from exiting areas if enemies are there? Just wondering how open it is.

Do you think there's enough to it to allow it to be more successful than the first one? Maybe it'll always be more of a niche title since it's horror focused.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Son of Bryce View Post
    When you get in sticky situations can you just run away to a safe area? Do they block you from exiting areas if enemies are there? Just wondering how open it is.

Do you think there's enough to it to allow it to be more successful than the first one? Maybe it'll always be more of a niche title since it's horror focused.
    It depends on the situation. Most of the time, you can run away into a safe house. There are certain scripted events where they will lock you in, and you can't escape until you defeat the enemies. The game also keeps you on your toes, because ANYTHING can happen while you're exploring the town. You can walk into one random house, and find some bullets and herbs, with no enemies. Meanwhile, another random house might lock you in and make you face a boss out of the blue. It reminds me of Dead Rising in that regard. The only difference is, if you run into a random boss in Dead Rising, it doesn't matter because their is ammo and health everywhere. In EW2, it really matters because you're playing by strict survival horror conservation of ammo/health rules.

There's definitely enough here, for it to potentially be more successful than the first game. I'll really have to play the rest of the game before I make a decision though. As it stands, it still feels like the Ninja Gaiden of Survival Horror games. You're going to dig the difficulty, or you're not.

I do suggest, for anybody who plays it, to do all of the side missions. The side missions are where you will find all of the best weapons, and a ton of upgrades. It would have been near impossible to defeat a boss I was on, if I didn't do the side missions, and I was stuck with just a handgun. The side missions also do a great job of clearing up and fleshing out the story.