Page 1 of 17 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Shovel Knight (3DS/Wii U/PC)

1. Shovel Knight (3DS/Wii U/PC)

So many scattered discussions about this awesome game.

Dig in!

Good call on the thread, as I've seen posts in three threads just today. Way to half ass it though.

Eurogamer: 7/10

3. Dammit Yoshi, remove that horrible Eurogamer review. It's written by an idiot.

This is not me saying that no critical reviews should be listed but as stated in the other threads the moron who wrote that review has NO idea what they're talking about.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. I'm at work, oh well.

Regarding the 3 Versions. PC has no exclusives. 3DS has no input lag(?), and Wii U has a Battle Mode.

5. PC has steam cards, 3ds has no input lag per the devs plus a streetpass battle arena, wii u has off screen play and something miiverse related.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Dammit Yoshi, remove that horrible Eurogamer review. It's written by an idiot.

This is not me saying that no critical reviews should be listed but as stated in the other threads the moron who wrote that review has NO idea what they're talking about.
    This is a pretty solid summary:

If the continuing appropriation of 2D pixel-art sprites and game styles from yesteryear was nothing more than an exercise in aesthetic nostalgia, then Shovel Knight would be difficult to recommend. But the game offers another demonstration of the enduring power and appeal of this form of play - even if it was forged within a set of technical boundaries that are no longer relevant. The game has a light, fresh appeal, even for those who never played 16-bit platform games the first time around, skewering the old publisher lie that only the latest, loudest, most technologically accomplished video games are worthwhile. There is gold in these old genres, and Shovel Knight is a successful dig.
    I don't recognize the guy though. Is it this review or another that is the issue with him?

Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    PC has steam cards, 3ds has no input lag per the devs plus a streetpass battle arena, wii u has off screen play and something miiverse related.
    There's no such thing as no input lag, and when has that been an issue on PC? You and I both know Parish just told her to write that piece to sell copies on Nintendo hardware.

7. The input lag thing is pretty dumb, like that Eurogamer review and worrying about input lag on a Wavebird dumb. It will never affect you unless you're the most anal-retentive person on earth.

If you want to buy the game, the best thing to do is to buy it on whatever platform you like best.
    Donk

8. Did you bother to read the rest?

Elsewhere, however, this is a routine, if pleasingly brisk and easy-going, tribute to the action platform games of the Super Nintendo era: a period piece with few features beyond its widescreen aspect ratio that betray its contemporary development.
    The service to tradition begins on the game's olde-world map, which is laid out as a series of Super Mario World-esque nodes.
    At first these prove enjoyable, but during the latter stages of the game, as the designers make each series of jumps and actions more prescribed and more difficult, it loses some appeal. This mild problem is exacerbated by some unnecessarily punitive design elements, such as spikes that instantly empty your health bar, leaving a percentage of your collected gold hovering around your point of death, ready for collection during your next attempt.
    I just... grrrrrr

It seems pretty obvious the guy has never played an 8-bit game in his life and the Super Nintendo was his first system.

I like you best, Finch

If my monitor is good enough for Evo, I think it's good enough for Shovel Knight.