Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mario + Rabbids Kindom Battle (NS)

1. Just fought a pair of mid-bosses in World 4 who are incredible. Won't name them to spoil in any way, you'll know when you see them.

2. Quote Originally Posted by magnifiedplaid View Post
    Is this and Mario Odyssey enough to persuade you to buy a Switch, or would you still hold off for a lower price point?
    I'm waiting until Odyssey to get all 3. Price point going down definitely would have moved me to buy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    In reality quite a lot. Smaller squad of 3. You can fire move and use a special in one turn. Overwatch is a special with a cooldown for the guys who have it. You can move a lot more especially with team jump. This opens up the map and it means cover isn't as locked down as it is in XCOM as it's easier to flank in one turn. That said that game probably is the closest comparison.
    I find the changes make it easier to strategize (which wouldn't be a desirable thing for XCOM) and moves the rounds faster. Overwatch and special abilities on a cool down timer are, IMO, better mechanics overall.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 07 Sep 2017 at 11:08 AM.

3. Yeah, that sounds pretty good. As much as I love XCOM, spending the first several turns inching your guys one-by-one across the first third of the map so as to leave them in over watch and avoid ambush every. single. time. wears thin. There's really only one strategy for the first three or four turns of every map: crawl some scouts out front while your snipers find a perch.

M+R sounds like it doesn't fall into that rut.

4. Quote Originally Posted by magnifiedplaid View Post
    Is this and Mario Odyssey enough to persuade you to buy a Switch, or would you still hold off for a lower price point?
    The big selling point of the Switch is honestly the lifestyle pitch, not the library. Switch is designed to make it easier to play when/where you want, which could be totally game-changing or totally pointless depending on your lifestyle.

As a second console to play Nintendo games, Switch isn't even up to Wii U standards yet. But if you're struggling to squeeze gaming in between time with the kids/other humans, or you spend a lot of time sitting on a bus/train, it's a godsend.

I had no interest, then I took a job with a long train commute, and it has been my favorite thing. Miles better than any other handheld/mobile gaming option out there.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 07 Sep 2017 at 01:31 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Yeah, that sounds pretty good. As much as I love XCOM, spending the first several turns inching your guys one-by-one across the first third of the map so as to leave them in over watch and avoid ambush every. single. time. wears thin. There's really only one strategy for the first three or four turns of every map: crawl some scouts out front while your snipers find a perch.

M+R sounds like it doesn't fall into that rut.
    That style fits XCOM as the mechanics here fit this game, as I said before.

6. 100% completion, good stuff. I look forward to playing this again in the future, and have an eye on the season pass for the new challenges and story content.

7. I haven't bought this yet. Is it much easier than XCOM's default difficulty or slightly easier?

8. I think it's too different to compare directly. Saying it's 'much easier' is like saying Mario 64 is a pushover compared to Dark Souls. Technically true but hardly the point, resulting in a misleading reductive comparison.

This has some X-COM rules, and is definitely easier if you're just playing through, but the game encourages perfect runs in fights. So, get all characters through alive in X number of turns to get the best reward which is vital toward keeping your crew's skills & gear up to date.

With that, it begins to feel less easy, but also less like X-COM. Rather than hoping for the best in what will probably be a shitshow, M+R is about planning the best path to whatever goal the battle is based on.

So...way easier? Feels that way sometimes, but also has its own way of injecting challenge apart from X-COM's rules.

9. I'm not sure Rabbids is easier as much as it is less consequential. Your favorite character won't die forever because their 95% shot missed and was followed by that alien blowing up the car next to them.

10. Hah, I'd call that easier

Another big difference are the scope of fights. A single battle is far shorter (with perfect goals often asking for a win in 4 or so turns), but that doesn't mean there's less strategy or planning. Plus it makes it work out better as a portable game.
    Last edited by Hero; 11 Sep 2017 at 04:09 PM.