Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 35678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

1. I love this game. It’s incredible. The most fun I’ve had with Mario since 64, easy.

2. Wooded Kingdom is amazing, especially a secret area I just found. Love the biomechanical feel of the stage and the light, almost acid jazz music. Borrowed a friend's Mario Smash Amiibo last night just so I could unlock the classic '80s pre-SMB3 Mario outfit, going to be using that one a lot.

3. I've been loving playing this free-roaming, exploration-packed Mario so I decided to go back and revisit Sunshine after 15 years to see if it clicks for me more now.

Nope. That game fucking sucks. Probably worse now than then.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Metal Slime View Post
    Wooded Kingdom is amazing, especially a secret area I just found.
    Is it the one with T Rex?

5. I don’t get Sunshine hate, it’s a serviceable Mario game amongst a bunch of great Mario games. It’s like the sibling that’s “just” a nurse when the rest of the family are neurosurgeons. It does have issues. The camera is clunky. The level design is inconsistent. The sandbox areas are too easy and the “traditional platforming” bits are too hard. But it’s still better than most 3D platform games of that era. Jak and Daxter MAYBE is better. The Django Reinhardt-esque Delfino Plaza theme and the tropical setting elevates it.

For Odyssey, this game is too quick, 5 hours in and my sail is almost complete, I want MORE!!!
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

6. Got tired of looking for those last two purple coins so I headed over to Lakeland. If Woodland was kinda meh for me because of how convoluted the level was (I even paid toad dude to mark my map for moons because purple coins are usually nearby and the last few I couldn't find because the level is very much altitude driven with several areas directly above others, so a 2D map with an X on it doesn't help), Lakeland was kinda meh because of how cramped it is. I found all 50 purple coins and 23 moons in about 15 minutes.
    I kind of screwed myself with the quintet jump. I used to short cut a few platforms instead of "unzipping" the pathway (play the game, you'll understand then), because I expected the level to end on a distant platform. Nope! You had to go back to the beginning of the area, which because of height differences I couldn't do without the path I didn't make.

I'm really not too in love with the Switch hardware- the joycon analogs don't feel precise and the not a real d pad sucks, but the Best Zelda Ever and now (imo) the Best Mario Ever- all Nintendo needs to do is go back to Paper Mario's roots and release the Best Paper Mario ever and Switch will be #1 for Nintendo properties for me (heck, they could remaster GC Animal Crossing and Thousand Year door and that'd do it).

7. Astroblue: I wanted to know if there was a specific number of moons per level so I did a little googling and spoiled something for myself. It's not a huge deal, but it relates to moons and beating the game. those silver boxes you may have noticed in every level, apparently they distribute more moons after you beat the game, so there's definitely more stuff to do post game.

8. That’s awesome. I was already pretty surprised by the last kingdom.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

9. And because I’m unobservant, I just noticed the “lists” menu, which tells you how many moons are in each area.
    Durr.

I was about to say, you can press Y from the map to see a rundown of the moons for that world.

Spent all day playing trading off with my fiancee. Just made it to New Donk City. Super fun, super weird game.