Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NS)

1. The worst person.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

The character designs in this game are hideous.

3. Yeah the original was one of my favorite RPGs of all time, the altered designs really turned me off of this one.

4. This is anime trash as fuck, and I love it.

If Persona is the 'anime RPG that transcends being an anime RPG' then Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the apex of the genre in all the best and jarring ways possible.

The combat system does get stupid complicated (and maybe stupider - I'm only 20 hours in), but in the way that made me like the original. Timing attacks to get Blade Specials to move through the right combo, and coupling that with Driver Arts that go through the break - topple - launch - spike cycle of the original results in ridiculous combos for stupid amounts of damage that are highly satisfying. And once you start carrying multiple Blades per character, you have versatility to switch roles, attack elements, and Arts on the fly.

It's the kind of thing where, without playing it, the UI looks like a stupid mess and you can scoff that it's too complicated for it's own good. I love it complicated decadence and ridiculous menus and UI to follow, but only in once in a blue moon, so I save that space in my heart for Xenoblade games. So no, I don't care if some other JRPG does this nonsense better. And yes, I like complicated systems that make more sense (FFT, FFXII) better. But this is loud and overdone and bombastic and kinda amazing so far.

It's also the first game where I don't wanna play it portable even when I can or it's the only way. It scales the visuals waaaaaaaaaaay down undocked, which is a shame. My only guess is Monolithsoft had problems getting it to run well at all, or run well and not kill the battery. It reminds me of the 3DS Pokemon games - a first party dev having a hard time with hardware is such an outlier with Nintendo, it really sucks when you see a team falter. I hope it gets patched, but until then or if ever, the docked visuals look great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

5. The portable mode does look horrible with that variable resolution BS. Inferior ports are free for Switch games

6. Portable is like a 3DS port, still eats battery too.

Happy Nintendo no longer have a stick in there arse, horrified there’s a massive titted ice bunny girl in a Xenoblade game.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

7. The shut-in-otaku-pandering female character designs are a big problem, yeah. I'm usually not one to complain about that sort of thing, but it's just over the top here. And even that would be okay if it was just one or two characters (and the female lead not one of them), but it's every. Single. One.* Dunno what Nintendo was thinking there. What would have been widely embraced as a great game is gonna be known as "that one for pervs".

*Yes, even the flat-chested catgirl. Notice how her outfit hugs her tiny boobs and crotch/hip/ass region - she's there to satisfy those sick lolicon fucks. No doubt "she's actually 10,000 years old so it's totally okay and doesn't make me a pedo at all, guys."

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

I agree, that shit looks ridiculous.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    The portable mode does look horrible with that variable resolution BS. Inferior ports are free for Switch games
    I still think it's better than Mario Odyssey's flickering between 720p and 240p whenever the camera moves.

Coming straight from Doom, it doesn't seem to be working the hardware as well, but it is running on an engine optimized for Wii U, so... I'm still going to play at least 90% of it handheld.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts View Post
    *Yes, even the flat-chested catgirl. Notice how her outfit hugs her tiny boobs and crotch/hip/ass region - she's there to satisfy those sick lolicon fucks. No doubt "she's actually 10,000 years old so it's totally okay and doesn't make me a pedo at all, guys."
    You're describing more than most people are going to notice, Roy Moore.
    Donk