Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NS)

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NS)

2. Christ, I still haven't finished the first game, and I have the second one still shrink-wrapped. I better get on it.

3. I am down for this.

4. Hype killer. Access to artes is based on connecting with autoattacks (ala the manado abilities from 1), and artes start combat uncharged. Therefor, every battle starts with 8-ish seconds of auto-attack. Weak enemies will be almost dead by the time you get to play the game. Higher level enemies with high evasion will probably be equally as frustrating as every missed auto-attack will feel like a dagger to the heart. Auto-attack is disabled by movement now, so setting up for a back slash/side slash slows everything down, too. Auto-attack is 3 stages with each stage being quite a bit more powerful than the last, really making you want to stay rooted as much as possible and making you decide whether you really want to interrupt your auto-attack chain with an arte. Boss battle/tough enemies without high evasion probably won't be as bad, since you're able to jump from blade to blade to blade to unleash their artes once things finally get rolling. Although there's a problem there, too. Switching away from a weapon-person will completely reset their artes charge, even if they were partially built up. So reacting to a heavy damage attack with a healing arte you were keeping in your pocket won't work unless you ignore that weapon-person entirely for just such emergencies. Edit: Although I should clarify that it looks like weapons that aren't equipped will refresh their artes based on time instead of landing auto-attacks. Wacky, but I guess it does help to have those healing artes on deck when you need them.

As a result everything looks so rigid. START BATTLE, BUILD UP ARTES CHARGE. WAIT FOR THIRD HIT OF AUTO-ATTACK CHAIN TO FINISH. USE ALL 3 ARTES. SWITCH TO NEW WEAPON. USE ALL 3 ARTS. REPEAT.

From the beginning this looked like a more mass market offering than is normal for Takahashi. Young protagonists with silly shortpants I can handle. Boring combat...much more difficult.

Edit: Okay, now that the initial disappointment is wearing off, I'm thinking it may not be that bad, outside artes for at least your currently equipped weapon not starting charged. The guy playing the game couldn't keep from moving around and interrupting his auto-attack to save his damn life.
    Last edited by alan_fatima; 15 Jun 2017 at 04:39 AM.

5. Anybody got this? I like the art style better even though Pyra is distracting. Combat system is pretty ace. Gashapon personas!
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

6. Waiting to return the overpriced special edition to buy the standard guy. Haven't played yet. You think I have a lot to look forward to, then?

7. It's pretty good so far. Combat seems like a bit of a downgrade from the original, but I can see how that could change once it opens up a bit more with each character having multiple Stands Personas Blades to switch between.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

8. I hear the combat gets a lot better as it goes but it eases you into it rather than throwing you into the deep end.

I've been waiting to finish Doom before starting this but I just finished this morning and I'll start Xenoblade on the way home.

9. I heard this game can drop to 368p. The hell?

10. Quote Originally Posted by alan_fatima View Post
    Edit: Okay, now that the initial disappointment is wearing off, I'm thinking it may not be that bad, outside artes for at least your currently equipped weapon not starting charged. The guy playing the game couldn't keep from moving around and interrupting his auto-attack to save his damn life.
    Here's a guy who knows how to do it.