Thread: Polymega: The world's first modular HD retro game console

Polymega: The world's first modular HD retro game console

Quote Originally Posted by Polymega
    Re-think everything you know about playing retro games in your modern living room and say hello to POLYMEGA™, the world’s first modular HD retro game console. We built POLYMEGA™ so that you can have a modern gaming experience with all your favorite classic game cartridges, disc games, and accessories in 1080p HD without the clutter and sub-par video quality of using the old retro systems. It’s modular, so you can play an ever-growing list of classic game cartridge-based systems the way they were meant to be played – with minimal lag and with universal compatibility.
    Click for full size

Official site

This has crazy expensive written all over it, but you have to give them credit for shooting for the moon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Nice render.

3. "Minimal lag," I'm waiting for the announcement that it's Android-based lol.

Really though, these emulation boxes will be a lot more enticing to me when they take advantage of variable refresh rates, which will hopefully be a normal TV thing in the next few years. Everything is guilty until proven innocent until then to me.

4. If it can deliver frameister level of visual quality (including CRT/scanline effects), I might be in... But that's just wishful thinking.

5. I remember seeing some press for this a number of months ago; A couple of the main devs are former Insomniac guys, so right there it seems to have a better pedigree than the normal off-brand enthusiast stuff.

The main draw here (aside from it being pretty much the only clone system that doesn't look like a bogus hunk of shit, aesthetically) is that it can do PSX, Sega CD, Neo CD, TG-CD, and 32X stuff, which is definitely ground that hasn't been tread by these all-in-one deals.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 13 Jun 2017 at 10:37 PM.

6. Everyone already has one of these PC

7. I believe it

8. I hope this is more FPGA clone system, like Kevtris' proposed Zimba 3000 or what ever he calls it, and less emulation box. Although if this can do PSX then maybe it's not. I could be wrong but I think last I read FPGAs weren't to the level yet of being able to match the PSX, N64, Saturn stuff.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

I kinda like the concept of this but we'll see how it turns out. So far I'm mostly seeing marketing, and when I see stuff from small companies that appear to be pitched by people in marketing and not engineers bad things usually happen.

10. Hot swapping the system seems kind of a pain in the ass, but I guess it's better than wiring multiples/swapping wires when you want to change them out.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!