View Poll Results: Which had the strongest year one lineup?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System

13 39.39%
  • Sega Dreamcast

15 45.45%
  • Sony PlayStation 2

3 9.09%
  • I'm wrong and/or a fence riding pussy.

2 6.06%
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234568 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Year One System Lineup

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Dreamcast is the only system I bought at launch with good reason. Soul freakin' Calibur. Playing that game a shit ton in arcades with friends was great, but when I brought the DC and SC home all turbo'd up, it was madness! Still one of my best gaming memories.
    Soul Calibur melted my face the first time I saw it. It still looks good today imo.

2. Ok, the SNES first year was insane and is probably the winner. Just listing the great games:
    Super Mario World, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Sim City, U.N. Squadron, Actraiser, FF2, Super GnG, Super Castlevania IV, Earth Defense Force, Contra 3, Link to the Past, Super Star Wars, Street Fighter 2, TMNT Turtles in Time.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Ok, the SNES first year was insane and is probably the winner.
    I told you!

4. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Ok, the SNES first year was insane and is probably the winner. Just listing the great games:
    Super Mario World, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Sim City, U.N. Squadron, Actraiser, FF2, Super GnG, Super Castlevania IV, Earth Defense Force, Contra 3, Link to the Past, Super Star Wars, Street Fighter 2, TMNT Turtles in Time.
    Not sure if they made the cutoff but also Soul Blazer, Axelay, Space Megaforce, Super Double Dragon

5. Quote Originally Posted by Low View Post
    Not sure if they made the cutoff but also Soul Blazer, Axelay, Space Megaforce, Super Double Dragon
    Nope, they all came out after Aug 22 1992.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. I never thought of the GC as a good 1st year, but there are more all-time greats in there than I realized.

I guess 1st years have just been kind of bad for the past decade and a half...

7. I think DC is best, SNES is arguably just as good but Genesis was hitting its stride around the same time so it didn't make the same impact for me.

8. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    NES would probably be near the bottom of the list, although the challenge there is you have to look at it in the lens of when it came out. Games like Duck Hunt and Ice Climber and Kung Fu aren't great games now, but they were damned fantastic for when they came out. Plus there's the additional challenge of poor documentation of pretty much everything related to the Nintendo system and game releases in the early years.
    NES's nationwide release was actually pretty solid once you factor in third-party releases from Capcom and Konami. Castlevania came out in May 1987. Gradius was December 1986, and Mega Man came out just a year later in the first wave of "Captain Commando" releases.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

9. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    NES's nationwide release was actually pretty solid once you factor in third-party releases from Capcom and Konami. Castlevania came out in May 1987. Gradius was December 1986, and Mega Man came out just a year later in the first wave of "Captain Commando" releases.
    Yeah, but the NES was technically launched in the Fall of 85 in the US

10. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Yeah, but the NES was technically launched in the Fall of 85 in the US
    yeah but that wasn't NATIONWIDE, baby
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood