View Poll Results: Which had the strongest year one lineup?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System

13 39.39%
  • Sega Dreamcast

15 45.45%
  • Sony PlayStation 2

3 9.09%
  • I'm wrong and/or a fence riding pussy.

2 6.06%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 35678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Year One System Lineup

Honestly the one that had the most impact on me was N64. All those games from year one got a TON of play from me. I mean Doom 64 is in the 12 month mark. Starfox 64 too. I full completed that game.

Waverace 64, Super Mario 64, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, Gretzky 3d Hockey, Blast Corps, Pilotwings 64, Turok, Killer Instinct, Cruis'n USA, MK Triolgy, Mario Kart 64,

Goldeneye just missed.

Everything was really changing in videogames at that time, it was amazing. None of those games hold up but at the time...?
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 14 Jun 2017 at 10:15 PM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

2. I remember waiting a long time for N64 games to be released Cowutopia. I had bought the thing at launch, played through Wave Race, SM64 and Pilot Wings, and waited what seemed like forever for Shadows of the Empire to come out. Then there was the nice tech demo called Turok.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    The bolded I disagree with, specially the PS3, that was the system with no games (Uncharted hit like a week past the year mark). I would also add that the PS4 and Xbox One had worse launch years. Specially for exclusives, outside of a handful of games they basically had the same library and all those games were on PC as well. What were the big PS4 exclusives Killzone and Knack. Then Infamous at the end of the year. Otherwise literally just about everything else was multiplatform. Not just with the Xbox One and PC either, a good majority of that first years releases were hitting 360 and PS3 as well.
    The Saturn ended the year with a huge bang. It had games like Sega Rally 95, Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtual On, Street Fighter Alpha, Night Warriors and Wing Arms.
    Last edited by gamevet; 14 Jun 2017 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    I just don't see the point in padding a list with titles that aren't exclusive to that console when discussing this kind of thing.
    It's tough because of how different things have become. I feel like if you take my approach, it might bias you toward newer systems. If you take yours, it might bias you toward older ones. Do we really want a GotY contender to not be considered at all because it was multiplatform?

4. With the PS2 you had a few of the best games ever (MGS2, SH2, ICO), a game that redefined action titles (DMC), big sequels to monster franchises (GT3, FFX, THPS3), and games that just totally changed the way games were designed (GTA3). Some of these games could be packed up and sold today and they'd still be among the best. There's also a second and third tier of games that, while you wouldn't necessarily play them today, stood out back then. Stuff like GGX, SSX Tricky, Frequency, Ace Combat 4, Rumble Racing, Ring of Red, Red Faction, Onimusha, TimeSplitters, and Sky Odyssey. And yes I had to look some of those up, but I still remember enjoying them.

On the downside, it did have Stretch Panic.

If you look at the PS4 lineup today, after 3+ years, maybe it has a wide mix of great and huge titles that the PS2 got in the first 12-14 months.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 14 Jun 2017 at 10:15 PM.

SNES was pretty awesome too. A lot of my favorite games on the system are on that list.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I remember waiting a long time for N64 games to be released Cowutopia. I had bought the thing at launch, played through Wave Race, SM64 and Pilot Wings, and waited what seemed like forever for Shadows of the Empire to come out. Then there was the nice tech demo called Turok.

Yeah that did happen.

Turok was kinda fun though lol
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

7. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I remember waiting a long time for N64 games to be released Cowutopia. I had bought the thing at launch, played through Wave Race, SM64 and Pilot Wings, and waited what seemed like forever for Shadows of the Empire to come out. Then there was the nice tech demo called Turok.
    You didn't get Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey? Sad!

8. I already had the Saturn and PlayStation, so I was very selective on what games were worth my time back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    With the PS2 you had a few of the best games ever (MGS2, SH2, ICO), a game that redefined action titles (DMC), big sequels to monster franchises (GT3, FFX, THPS3), and games that just totally changed the way games were designed (GTA3). Some of these games could be packed up and sold today and they'd still be among the best. There's also a second and third tier of games that, while you wouldn't necessarily play them today, stood out back then. Stuff like GGX, SSX Tricky, Frequency, Ace Combat 4, Rumble Racing, Ring of Red, Red Faction, Onimusha, TimeSplitters, and Sky Odyssey. And yes I had to look some of those up, but I still remember enjoying them.

On the downside, it did have Stretch Panic.

If you look at the PS4 lineup today, after 3+ years, maybe it has a wide mix of great and huge titles that the PS2 got in the first 12-14 months.
    I quoted you earlier on that PS2 lineup. Final Fantasy X and MGS2 came out just past the 1 year mark.

Stretch Panic was horrible. I had to get rid of it, even though it was a Treasure game.

9. So what... the system came out in late October. MGS2 came out 54 weeks after release oh noes.

I'd even count any Dreamcast game through the end of November 2000. So basically its entire lineup.

10. It's still outside of the 1 year mark, and FFX is two months past that deadline.

The DC got Skies of Arcadia about 2 months after the 1 year mark, and I'm pretty sure there were a ton more titles that were released between October and December of 2000.
    Last edited by gamevet; 14 Jun 2017 at 10:53 PM.