View Poll Results: Which had the strongest year one lineup?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System

13 39.39%
  • Sega Dreamcast

15 45.45%
  • Sony PlayStation 2

3 9.09%
  • I'm wrong and/or a fence riding pussy.

2 6.06%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 81011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Year One System Lineup

1. How on the hell is Four games in a year a solid first year? I just can't wrap my head around this crap. There are some good things about the switch but it's game selection is not one of those things
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Schlep View Post

Dreamcast doesn't count, since it was purposefully delayed here so long. All I remember from the first year (bought import) is Soul Calibur, Sega Rally 2, Power Stone, Sonic Adventure, and Chu Chu Rocket.

The Dreamcast wasn't purposely delayed in North America. Japan just rushed their launch a year earlier, much like what they did with the Saturn.

3. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    How on the hell is Four games in a year a solid first year? I just can't wrap my head around this crap. There are some good things about the switch but it's game selection is not one of those things
    Four games? By the time its first year is up, it will definitely have: Zelda BoTW, Mario Kart Deluxe 8, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Splatoon 2, Sonic Mania, and probably either Kirby, Fire Emblem, or both. That doesn't include various ports and multiplatform titles. Now granted maybe some/all of those not yet released won't be great. No way of knowing.

PS4 and Xbox One had terrible first years. PS3 and 360 had a handful of ports and multiplatform games the first year, but didn't really get going until year 2. Then there are people pretending PS2 had some great year one. Devil May Cry came out on day 356 and Grand Theft Auto 3 came out on day 361. That console was painfully bad for the first year.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The Dreamcast wasn't purposely delayed in North America. Japan just rushed their launch a year earlier, much like what they did with the Saturn.
    Didn't know that. The launch date worked for the US very well.

4. PS4/XB1 had a handful of decent games and a lot of 'definitive editions' of last gen stuff, but at least they had something in most genres.

5. "Most genres" includes "western games", no big jp games until Dragon so it wasn't much for me until recently. I wish that would keep up but it's starting to look slim

6. Quote Originally Posted by Schlep View Post
    Four games? By the time its first year is up, it will definitely have: Zelda BoTW, Mario Kart Deluxe 8, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Splatoon 2, Sonic Mania, and probably either Kirby, Fire Emblem, or both. That doesn't include various ports and multiplatform titles. Now granted maybe some/all of those not yet released won't be great. No way of knowing.

PS4 and Xbox One had terrible first years. PS3 and 360 had a handful of ports and multiplatform games the first year, but didn't really get going until year 2. Then there are people pretending PS2 had some great year one. Devil May Cry came out on day 356 and Grand Theft Auto 3 came out on day 361. That console was painfully bad for the first year.
    You're knocking the PS3 and 360 for a handful of ports and multi platform games while 2 of the 7 games you list for switch are ports and another is multi platform? LOL

PS4 and Xbone had poor first years as well, I agree on that, though not as poor as the Switch.

And PS2 sure as hell did have a good year one, a partial list of some of the best - Sky Odyssey, Onimusha, Ring of Red, ZoE, MDK2, Silpheed, Cookie & Cream (fuck you, it's one of the best games on the PS2), Dark Cloud, Twisted Metal Black, Klonoa 2, Ico, Silent hill 2, Okage, Devil May Cry, GTA3
    Last edited by bbobb; 19 Jun 2017 at 07:25 PM.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    You're knocking the PS3 and 360 for a handful of ports and multi platform games while 2 of the 7 games you list for switch are ports and another is multi platform? LOL

PS4 and Xbone had poor first years as well, I agree on that, though not as poor as the Switch.

And PS2 sure as hell did have a good year one, a partial list of some of the best - Sky Odyssey, Onimusha, Ring of Red, ZoE, MDK2, Silpheed, Cookie & Cream (fuck you, it's one of the best games on the PS2), Dark Cloud, Twisted Metal Black, Klonoa 2, Ico, Silent hill 2, Okage, Devil May Cry, GTA3
    Let's not pretend like anyone bought the Wii U. None of those PS2 games interested me except for GTA 3 and DMC. As I said above, those were pretty much year 2 games.

I'm not sure I'm interested in opinions from people who didn't buy the Wii U.

You just rattled off two ports, a sequel, and two quasi-sequels of Wii U games on your seven-game Switch list, but buying a Wii U would be fooling you?