View Poll Results: Which had the strongest year one lineup?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System

13 39.39%
  • Sega Dreamcast

15 45.45%
  • Sony PlayStation 2

3 9.09%
  • I'm wrong and/or a fence riding pussy.

2 6.06%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 24567810 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Year One System Lineup

1. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Let's use the US release date for consistency purposes.

2. I want to give the GBA some credit because it was a handheld that played great ports near launch, and had some good originals too

3. OHMAHGERD I missed a sentence in a post 6 pages ago. Sue me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    I want to give the GBA some credit because it was a handheld that played great ports near launch, and had some good originals too
    Good call. As far as I am concerned, the early 2000s were Nintendo's golden years. They never had two platforms humming like the GC and GBA before or after. If anyone wants to respond to that with anything about the fucking Wii and DS, you have to click the fourth poll option first.

5. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    It doesn't, Wii U was worse.

But I'm not sure if there are any other systems worse than that, looking at GC, DC, Xbox, PS3, and PS2 they're all better than Switch.

Maybe Saturn was worse? Need to check on that one.
    The bolded I disagree with, specially the PS3, that was the system with no games (Uncharted hit like a week past the year mark). I would also add that the PS4 and Xbox One had worse launch years. Specially for exclusives, outside of a handful of games they basically had the same library and all those games were on PC as well. What were the big PS4 exclusives Killzone and Knack. Then Infamous at the end of the year. Otherwise literally just about everything else was multiplatform. Not just with the Xbox One and PC either, a good majority of that first years releases were hitting 360 and PS3 as well.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

Though I didn't specify it, you almost can't look at exclusives in this context, because what that means has changed so much over the years. Should Gradius III not count for the SNES because it was sort of an arcade port? Just look at each system in a vacuum.

7. I didn't realize all of those SNES games were in year one. Holy hell.

It's really tough. All three had monster years.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    The games that came out in 2001 on PS2 were insane. GTA3, DMC, FFX, GT3, MGS2, ICO, Tony Hawk 3, Jak and Daxter, Silent Hill 2...

I could double or triple this list with some SpoPadding.
    Final Fantasy X was released near 14 months after the launch of the PS2 in North America. Metal Gear Solid 2 missed the 1 year mark by a couple of weeks, with a November 12th, 2001 release date. Most of the 1st year was pretty meh until late 2001. I do agree, however, that games like GTAIII, MGS2, ICO and GT3 were awesome.

I waited until the GT3 bundled PS2 was released in April of 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    DC's first year in the US was legendary. But it was also almost a year after the Japanese release, which was a lot less impressive.
    The DC was rushed to launch in Japan. It has stupid games like Godzilla and Pen Pen Triacilon. The PS2 had a 7 month launch lead in Japan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Gamecube good first year games:
    Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Squadron 2, SSB Melee, Pikmin, Sega Soccer Slam, REmake, Eternal Darkness, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, PSO 1&2, RE Zero and Metroid Prime.

Without padding at all that's a good list. The Switch one is not.

Oh and Wave Race.
    The DC and the GC were the only consoles that I had bought at launch, during that generation. They came out of the gates swinging.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Though I didn't specify it, you almost can't look at exclusives in this context, because what that means has changed so much over the years. Should Gradius III not count for the SNES because it was sort of an arcade port? Just look at each system in a vacuum.

See I totally disagree with that. To me exclusives are what define a system, specially in its first year. What is the point in owning a particular system if all its games are the same as the PC and its competitor. Arcade ports count because 99% of the population isn't buying arcade cabs for their home, specially in the time period when Gradius III came out.

If you're not only counting exclusives then add Wonderboy remake, Puyo Puyo Tetris, USFII, Blaster Master Zero, Voez, Shovel Knight, Cave Story, Steam World Dig 2, Battle Princess Madelyn, Mutant Mudds, Shock Troopers, Metal Slug, King of Fighters 94, King of Fighters 98, Waku Waku 7, Metal Slug 3, Mark of the Wolves, Neo Turf Masters, Nam 1975, King of Fighters 99, Binding of Isaac, Samurai Shodown IV, Blazing Star, Shantea Half Genie Hero, Axiom Verge, Sonic Mania, Skyrim, and Hollow Knight. Just in Neo Geo games alone its fantastic.

I just don't see the point in padding a list with titles that aren't exclusive to that console when discussing this kind of thing.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.