View Poll Results: Which had the strongest year one lineup?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System

13 39.39%
  • Sega Dreamcast

15 45.45%
  • Sony PlayStation 2

3 9.09%
  • I'm wrong and/or a fence riding pussy.

2 6.06%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Year One System Lineup

Now I think you've gone off the other end from Gas Pirate Perrin.

2. Gamecube good first year games:
    Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Squadron 2, SSB Melee, Pikmin, Sega Soccer Slam, REmake, Eternal Darkness, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, PSO 1&2, RE Zero and Metroid Prime.

Without padding at all that's a good list. The Switch one is not.

Oh and Wave Race.
    Last edited by bbobb; 14 Jun 2017 at 04:39 PM.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. Dreamcast is the best first year because you were young and because "first year" is being used pretty loosely if it's including Skies of Arcadia and Space Channel 5. Heck, if we're going by TNL rules, 90% of those PS2 and DC lists are padding, and an awful lot of the best Dreamcast games are Capcom arcade ports.

I'd rather have that Capcom back than a good first year of any console though.

Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Gamecube good first year games:
    Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Squadron 2, SSB Melee, Pikmin, Sega Soccer Slam, REmake, Eternal Darkness, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, PSO 1&2, RE Zero and Metroid Prime.

Without padding at all that's a good list. The Switch one is not.

Oh and Wave Race.
    I loved the GameCube, but saying the Switch has the worst mainstream first year ever seems like more than a bit of a stretch.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Dreamcast is the best first year because you were young and because "first year" is being used pretty loosely if it's including Skies of Arcadia and Space Channel 5. Heck, if we're going by TNL rules, 90% of those PS2 and DC lists are padding, and an awful lot of the best Dreamcast games are Capcom arcade ports.

I'd rather have that Capcom back than a good first year of any console though.
    Actually yeah, looking at Yoshi's list there are games on there that aren't in the first year. Skies was 11/2000, that's more than a year after launch, in fact a good number of the games on that list are post 9/9/2000, so I'm thinking PS2 may actually be the winner but I need to check the actual release dates on those too.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I loved the GameCube, but saying the Switch has the worst mainstream first year ever seems like more than a bit of a stretch.
    It doesn't, Wii U was worse.

But I'm not sure if there are any other systems worse than that, looking at GC, DC, Xbox, PS3, and PS2 they're all better than Switch.

Maybe Saturn was worse? Need to check on that one.

What about the NES? Genesis? Those were both slow starters. There are also all of the portables.

edit: You're also excluding anything digital from the Switch list. Blaster Master is certainly "good" for example.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 14 Jun 2017 at 04:52 PM.

8. NES would probably be near the bottom of the list, although the challenge there is you have to look at it in the lens of when it came out. Games like Duck Hunt and Ice Climber and Kung Fu aren't great games now, but they were damned fantastic for when they came out. Plus there's the additional challenge of poor documentation of pretty much everything related to the Nintendo system and game releases in the early years.

Not seeing full release dates for Genesis games either so it may be difficult as well but I believe Ghouls N Ghosts, Golden Axe, Herzog Zwei, Phantasy Star 2, Revenge of Shinobi, and Thunder Force II all fall in the first year along with probably a few more good games so I'd say it's about on par with the Switch.
    Last edited by bbobb; 14 Jun 2017 at 05:00 PM.

Maybe you're onto something after all. I guess the Switch fills my needs perfectly, which is entirely different than standing strong on its own. There's a lot hinging on just how good Odyssey is too.

10. Looking at Saturn it doesn't have full dates as well but it looks like that first year was equal to or worse than the Wii U. Astal, Daytona, Layer Section, Panzer Dragoon, Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter were about it.