Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1424262728293032 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing (Summer, 2017)?

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post

I like Hard Corps just fine, I simply don't like it as much because of how it is. I'm less likely to pick it up for a half hour session than Contra III (which is really enough time to beat Contra III in a sitting).
    I could see that. I think Hard Corps is the better game, but it requires practice. I have to work on it quite a bit to just get past the first few stages. Contra 3 I could just pick up anytime and have a ball.

2. What about that Hybrid GBA game?
    It sounds like a great idea, but I could't play it for shit on my GB micro.

I dunno, never tried it. I skipped most of the GBA SNES ports.

4. There's just too much going on on screen for Contra 3 to work on the GBA honestly. I don't recommend that port.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    It's plenty fun and looks amazing (Konami sure loved rotating sprites on the Genesis), but managing four weapons can be a little overwhelming and unnecessary and the absence of a holdable shoulder button to fix your shot hurts.
    Not sure if you didn't know it could be done or just found it cumbersome, but tapping I think the weapon change button while shooting toggles being locked in place. It's like a lean of the thumb holding the shoot button and it worked surprisingly well for me.

I played through all the paths as regular Contra man and never found it to be that difficult. It's definitely trial and error and the missing link to the PS2 Contra that confused so many with it's very, very set patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    What about that Hybrid GBA game?
    It sounds like a great idea, but I could't play it for shit on my GB micro.
    It sounds like a good idea but the Hard Corps levels they plugged in aren't adjusted well for the larger Contra 3 sprite size. It plays pretty awkwardly.

Sonic 3 Complete

Its a rom hack that puts Sonic 3 and Knuckles on the same cart and puts the levels back in their prerelease order (mainly putting flying battery between carnival night and ice cap). It also lets you switch the controls up from the various releases and changes tails so that if you jump in his arms you can control him to take you where you want.

If they could add widescreen this would probably be the definitive version of the game.

I've beaten 3 so far. First time to do it completely fairly. I never could figure out that one bouncy room in carnival night as a kid and always had to use level select or debug mode to get past that part.

I've gotten though to the last boss but ran out of time. :/

other conclusions: the 360 dpad sucks. It isn't responsive enough for the big ring special stages.
    sandopolis is still kind of a dog of a level.

I bought the game used with no manual, I got stuck in the same spot for months not knowing that you just needed to press up and down to move those big cylinder things.

I love Sonic 3 and knuckles, I've got that hack on my everdrive, I should check it out.

It's not intuitive. You can't do that with the first one in that zone.

beat sonic and knuckles. First time I did the whole thing in one go without any cheats.

I got all the way to mecha sonic in sonic 2. I'll call that done. Who gives a shit about that no ring death egg shit.