Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1626282930313234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing (Summer, 2017)?

1. I put 70 hours into it did about half of the story line. I put it down when they announced they were patching more stuff into it and haven't gone back to it. Asshole customers spoiling everything despite me saying I hadn't finished it has more to do with the lapse in play than the actual game.

It was the first open world game I didn't get completely bored of. I think it cracked the door open for me loving Breath of the Wild so much.

2. That is encouraging, I will check it out once I am done with 12.

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    I can't stop playing Final Fantasy 12. It is such an amazing game, it is hard to understand how they went from this to 13.
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Because all the good talent left during/ between those games.
    Exactly. It's hard, but try not to look at IPs or publishers, and look at developers and individuals. It was Yasumi Matsuno that produced and/or directed the best 3D FF games. He left during XII's development.

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    How is 15 btw? Looks kinda dumb from videos.
    He didn't come back for XV.

4. He also had nothing to do with Final Fantasy's 1-11, some of which are highly regarded.
    He was around for several games not Final Fantasy since 12, none of which are highly regarded.
    It's incredibly unlikely for anyone to help create something awesome. It's even more incredibly unlikely for anyone to keep doing it. I don't know why we expect someone to be able to constantly one up themselves, but we do.
    Matsuno had a hand in a couple of awesome games. But expecting a miracle because his (or anyone's) name is attached is silly. So is saying something without a particular person's involvement is automatically garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    He also had nothing to do with Final Fantasy's 1-11, some of which are highly regarded.
    I specifically said 3D, so you can scratch 1-6 from that.
    He was around for several games not Final Fantasy since 12, none of which are highly regarded.
    Around where? Not at SE, unless you're counting the Tactics Ogre remake, which absolutely is highly regarded.
    It's incredibly unlikely for anyone to help create something awesome. It's even more incredibly unlikely for anyone to keep doing it. I don't know why we expect someone to be able to constantly one up themselves, but we do.
    There are a handful of guys responsible for a disproportionate number of the historically great and influential games. The expectations may not be fair, but some people can meet them.
    Matsuno had a hand in a couple of awesome games.
    Which "couple" are you talking about, or, more importantly, which ones are you not?
    But expecting a miracle because his (or anyone's) name is attached is silly. So is saying something without a particular person's involvement is automatically garbage.
    I never said it was garbage, but it's the single best way to predict quality. Developers matter far more than publishers or IP. I wish I'd have learned that before forcing myself through RE5 and some of 6 for example.

6. 12 is great until it goes from really awesome political intrigue to world ending supernatural crap like every other FF at the end. The game itself is still fun to play though.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Yeah, unfortunately, you can tell where he left. In interviews he's said that he doesn't like interference in his narrative, and he almost has to be talking about that.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I specifically said 3D, so you can scratch 1-6 from that.
    Shit, missed that part. Well, 7-11 are still regarded in certain circles.
    Around where? Not at SE, unless you're counting the Tactics Ogre remake, which absolutely is highly regarded.
    Around the industry, not including SE. Specifically MadWorld and that Guild game.
    There are a handful of guys responsible for a disproportionate number of the historically great and influential games. The expectations may not be fair, but some people can meet them.
    Not when you stretch the timeline out long enough. Be it musicians, film maker/actors, writers, anything specifically creative. It's a small percentage of a small percentage that can consistently deliver over a lengthy career.
    Which "couple" are you talking about, or, more importantly, which ones are you not?
    Awesome category= Tactics Ogre, FFT, and part of FFXII. While good, I don't think Ogre Battle fits the "awesome" modifier requirements. Same with Vagrant Story. It's tedium in menus brings it down several notches.
    I never said it was garbage, but it's the single best way to predict quality. Developers matter far more than publishers or IP. I wish I'd have learned that before forcing myself through RE5 and some of 6 for example.
    I took your statement of Matsuno not having a hand in XV to mean it automatically made it no good. Developers absolutely are the best way to predict quality over anything else. But as a reliable tool, it still falls incredibly short in accuracy.
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 06 Aug 2017 at 01:05 PM.

That was a lot of quoting on both our parts to pretty much agree in the end.

10. It's a slow Sunday.