Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing (Summer, 2017)?

1. I looped and beat the real final boss in genesis Ghouls 'n' Ghosts with no codes as a kid... what is wrong with you people?

Time to step up and be a man.

A few friends and I were staying at a cabin in Tahoe a few months ago and it had a game room with an arcade cab with random games. Ghouls 'n' Ghosts was on there. Fuck... it was so hard. How did I beat this twice in a row as a kid? Attrition I guess?
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

I could probably do it eventually if I did it the old sega way of leaving the system on for days.

You're tired by the end game.

3. Xanadu Next
    Ys: Memories of Celceta

2017 is the year I realize Falcom ARPGs are what I wanted all along. I had no exposure to them outside of Ys VI when it was released for US PS2, which I wasn't really into and abandoned after a day or two, and Ys Book I & II when I bought my Duo in 2004, whose ethos I dug, but whose bump'n'jump I couldn't abide. I wanted a Diablo 3 where I got to look at and respond to enemies rather than cooldown meters and I think I got it.

Donkey Kong Country 2

I popped this in to see if my Trinitron was 240p compatible in light of the HD Retrogaming component cable thread, was quickly reminded that DKC2 is a brilliant game, and played through the first two worlds. These levels have some serious verticality--this is Bonk's Revenge to DKC1's Bonk's Adventure. What really sets DKC2 apart, though, is that both Kongs have valuable abilities; losing either feels significant, an improvement over the Diddy & Diddy's Extra Hit Point character dynamic of DKC1. Pay-to-save and the inability to see if you've collected the Krem Coin in a completed level are grating, though.

4. WELL GET A LOAD OF THIS AROBIMI: I THINK DKC2 AND EVERYTHING RARE TOUCHED EXCEPT SNAKE RATTLE AND ROLL ISNT VERY GOOD AT ALL AND DONKEY KONG COUNTRY WAS REALLY BAD UNTIL DKC RETURNS
    Donk

5. I liked Rare's Pin-Bot on the NES.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I could probably do it eventually if I did it the old sega way of leaving the system on for days.

You're tired by the end game.
    Now you can just use Kega Fusion and save the game wherever you were the last time you
    played it.

6. Oh, that's right, Pin-Bot was okay too.
    Donk

7. If it said "Natsume" when you turned it on instead of "Rareware," had a cartoon octopus who walked upright and wore a dress instead of a rendered monkey kid with a hat, and was otherwise identical to DKC2, it would be your favorite game of all time and you'd say anyone who doesn't like it has a bad heart.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 05 Jul 2017 at 04:01 PM.

Funny thing about DKC, I used to hate it when it was new, but I love it now. I really should play some DKC 2 and 3.

9. Ar the portable DK Land games any good?
    I've played all of the DKC games, but never touched the GameBoy games.

10. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    If it said "Natsume" when you turned it on instead of "Rareware," had a cartoon octopus who walked upright and wore a dress instead of a rendered monkey kid with a hat, and was otherwise identical to DKC2, it would be your favorite game of all time and you'd say anyone who doesn't like it has a bad heart.
    If it had a rendered octopus in a dress and its name was Takotaro then yes, it would be the best and anyone who didn't like it would be terrible.
    Donk