Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing (Summer, 2017)?

1. Mostly Switch games really. Going through Cave Story again — it has to have been over a decade since playing through it — and it's terrific. I think they upgraded the tunes a bit, and boy does it sound good.

Also some Arms. Pretty fun. We'll see how much I actually keep playing it, as I don't have too many people to play local multi with nowadays. The online is better than expected, though.

Looking forward to Sonic Mania.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Ok, but consoles are moving more and more towards digital. So fewer physical copies were sold this year than last. As the article states, that alone can't account for the disparity in sales. But that combined with the loss of PS3/360 sales can explain some of the hit IW took in sales. I'm sure Blops III being a PS4 pack in helped sales as well.
    I'm not going to doubt that Blops III sold more than IW. But you can't just say "it sold twice as many" as if quality or theme were the cause of those lost sales. There's more to the story.
    The same thing did not happen to Battlefield 1 though. It outsold Battlefield 4, without a release on the 360 and PS3.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/11/01/tot...battlefield-4/

Activision openly admitted that Infinite Warfare did not meet sales expectations.

http://www.pcgamer.com/this-years-ca...to-activision/

Yes, I'll admit that digital downloads on consoles have increased over the past few years, but I don't believe that a lot of that digital content was $60 games. It would make no sense to purchase a digital copy of Infinite Warfare, when you can get a physical copy you can sell, should the game not meet your expectations.

3. Battlefield 1 came out several years after BF4. People were ready for a "real" Battlefield. For a more apples to apples comparison, did Hardline outsell 4?

4. on topic, I'm playing TitS 2 on the gpd win and Persona Q on 3ds.
    Really liking Second Chapter, unsurprisingly. These games feel like spiritual successors to Game Arts games and I love them for it.
    Persona Q, well, I'm not hating it but there are some things about it that make me sad. It was hard enough to decide who to pal around with when it was just the starting team. I was super bummed when the teams joined together. It also seems like only party people get Exp? Super lame. Finally, having played 100 some hours of Persona 4, I really hate having to go to the nurse's office in this game.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Battlefield 1 came out several years after BF4. People were ready for a "real" Battlefield. For a more apples to apples comparison, did Hardline outsell 4?
    Hell no!

Hardline was a total failure. I have a PC copy of that game that I'd bought from Walmart for $7.

6. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The same thing did not happen to Battlefield 1 though. It outsold Battlefield 4, without a release on the 360 and PS3.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/11/01/tot...battlefield-4/

Activision openly admitted that Infinite Warfare did not meet sales expectations.

http://www.pcgamer.com/this-years-ca...to-activision/

Yes, I'll admit that digital downloads on consoles have increased over the past few years, but I don't believe that a lot of that digital content was $60 games. It would make no sense to purchase a digital copy of Infinite Warfare, when you can get a physical copy you can sell, should the game not meet your expectations.
    Oh it's quite possible IW did not live up to their expectations. But the game was still a new entry in the COD franchise (whereas BO3 was part of the most popular sub-franchise). If anything hurt IW sales I would say it is that. BO3 even today is still one of the most popular online games. Still, IW was the best selling game of 2016. I cannot emphasize that enough. It outsold every game last year, including Battlefield 1.

I got a digital copy of IW.

7. So far, I've mostly been playing Kamiko and working my way through NieR: Automata again for the hell of it this summer, though I did finally get started on Arms a couple days ago. I'd characterize the first two of those titles as outstanding and Arms as decent so far.

8. Tekken 7

It's a really good fighting game. It's also surprisingly accessible, I play with some guys where this is their first Tekken, coming from more of an SF background, and they're all up in it. Besides tons of smart small touches that just make the game run nice and modern, the two big changes are an easier/safer way to get up, and a simplified juggle system.

I wish it had more built-in tutorial stuff like GGXrd, but you can set up just about any scenario you need in training. I don't know what's in the story mode, probably some nonsense.

9. Wolfenstein: the New Order

I'm sorry it took me so long to play through this game. Really enjoying all the photorealistic renditions of Albert Speer and Adolf Hitler's fever dreams of future Berlin. For anyone who's ever read Speer's autobiography or Robert Harris's Fatherland, having the chance to explode Nazis into puddles of gore outside the Volkshalle is a real treat.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

10. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Oh it's quite possible IW did not live up to their expectations. But the game was still a new entry in the COD franchise (whereas BO3 was part of the most popular sub-franchise). If anything hurt IW sales I would say it is that. BO3 even today is still one of the most popular online games. Still, IW was the best selling game of 2016. I cannot emphasize that enough. It outsold every game last year, including Battlefield 1.
    Yes, but by how much?

I got a digital copy of IW.
    I hope it was on PC, because it would be downright stupid to buy a digital copy of a $60 game on console.