Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing (Summer, 2017)?

1. I believe it is a 2 year cycle for every Call of Duty game.

Sales of Infinite Warfare were down 50% from the sales of Black Ops 3.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc.../#1ddc300246da

It's definitely a three year developer cycle, i.e. they have three developers take turns. It might be a two year development cycle if something else happens in that off-year.

3. Ok, but the point is that this year's COD was surely conceived as a WW2 game far earlier than last November.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I believe it is a 2 year cycle for every Call of Duty game.

Sales of Infinite Warfare were down 50% from the sales of Black Ops 3.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc.../#1ddc300246da
    This is like saying the Warriors had a bad season because they didn't win 73 games again.

4. No.
    Activision saw how BF1 destroyed them by not outselling Infinite Warfare, scrapped their plans for whatever CoD they were working on (Pretty sure we were finally going to get our asses to Mars), and started development of what will probably be the most graphically impressive game of the year and they'll get it done in 9 months. Because that's how game development works.

5. From said Forbes link:
    There are a few caveats here. All of these numbers are only physical retail sales, and retail sales will consistently drop until there are no more retail sales, and everything is taken over by digital. But obviously that’s not enough to account for this big of a drop in a single year.

The second item of note is that many consumers purchased the $80 edition of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare which came bundled with Modern Warfare Remastered, so that means many copies were purchased for 33% more than usual. Additionally, this is the first Call of Duty that hasn’t been released for Xbox 360 and PS3, which means a smaller market.

6. All of the PC versions of those games are digital downloads. Black Ops 3 retail for PC was nothing more than a CD key for a digital download.

I don't know about you, but I'm not paying $60 for a digital download, when I can get a game on disc that I can sell later. Star Wars Battlefront (PC digital download) was the biggest waste of $60 for me.
    Last edited by gamevet; 25 Jun 2017 at 01:16 PM.

7. Ok, but consoles are moving more and more towards digital. So fewer physical copies were sold this year than last. As the article states, that alone can't account for the disparity in sales. But that combined with the loss of PS3/360 sales can explain some of the hit IW took in sales. I'm sure Blops III being a PS4 pack in helped sales as well.
    I'm not going to doubt that Blops III sold more than IW. But you can't just say "it sold twice as many" as if quality or theme were the cause of those lost sales. There's more to the story.

Also, Treyarch's Black Ops games were generally better than Infinity Ward's games, so there's that.

9. Black Ops is the most popular COD and IW was brand new. Considering MWR i am sure Activision knew there would be a drop off just from the name.

Digital download sales are exploding, growth is double digit percentages a year I believe.

10. Speaking of COD, I m playing Infinite Warfare. The series does a really good job of making you feel like a total badass.

It's a shame it's about to return to the WW2 days ;/ But it has been a long time, so maybe it's a good change.