Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 23333536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing (Summer, 2017)?

1. I played the first Walking Dead. I thought it was pretty good, for what it was. They did a good job telling the story and making it seem like your choices matter (they really don't). But man it got like GOTY awards and shit, which makes no sense.

2. I feel a bit gross being that negative towards anything, even if I believe what I'm saying or feel that it's warranted. This just really threw me off. People call this an adventure game and I was expecting one, but it's really not. Though I guess you could put it in a similar bucket as Dragon's Lair and those type of Laserdisc QTE games. Maybe that's an adventure game. I dunno.

And I don't understand what's going on with the graphics. I'm starting to get this dark, creeping suspicion that it was a design decision... but I really don't want to accept that someone would intentionally inflict visuals like this on paying customers...
    Last edited by koda; 20 Aug 2017 at 01:08 AM.

3. I've been enjoying Tales From the Borderlands, but you're right, it's not the most interactive of things.
    Boo, Hiss.

4. They really aren't adventure games but somewhere closer to walking simulators with NPCs. I think Telltale running into problems trying to fit every single property into this one structure. Lego had that problem for a bit too. For what it's worth I have heard GoT is one of the weaker entries. Plus they're using the same POS engine that hasn't looked good for years.

5. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I can't play any of their games that were released on disc for 360. The loading just breaks the QTE stuff completely. One of these days I'll have to clear some space on the hard drive so I can install the games and try again.

The tales games are just visual novels. Jesus.

Japan has had like a 30 year long industry for that shit.

Philistines. God.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    The tales games are just visual novels. Jesus.

Japan has had like a 30 year long industry for that shit.

Philistines. God.
    Like I said, Telltale games were a big blind spot for me. They're not tagged as Visual Novels on Steam and I never saw people talking about them in those terms. I always just heard "adventure games."

I do think the second episode is better than the first. Maybe it's just that my expectations have been realigned. Each element of the game, individually, still feels pretty crap, but I'm sure I've had worse Saturday nights.

8. Eh, I suggest if you're not enjoying the Telltale games, then you should move on to something else. They're definitely not for everybody.

I also think it depends on if you like the license or not. I love the Batman Telltale game, but I can't get into other ones.

9. I'm on episode 4 now and I've been enjoying it enough to keep going. Everything I said is still applicable, but it's almost like... every once in awhile I'll eat a McDonald's hamburger, even though it's arguably not real food and a burger from just about anywhere else is going to be higher quality, I'll still willingly put one down every now and then.

You're right though, I'm not interested in the IP of most of their other series' and I won't try to force those ones on myself. Monkey Island maybe... I'm not sure if that one is different or not, being so early on.

I did Google around and discovered that all of the graphical glitches I'm getting apparently are an intentional aesthetic. It's supposed to look like a watercolor or something I guess? When I take a screenshot that kind of comes across, but in motion it just looks like I need to RMA my video card.

I played Convoy tonight. It's so close to being good but is kinda trash. Half the writing is just referential garbage. Back to the Future, Terry Pratchett, Mad Max, Clockwork Orange....there are like zero original ideas at all in the writing. I was crushing a run today, my last of the day, when a text event gave me an instant game over. I was loaded to the gills, max hp, close to the end. That's just fucking lazy garbage. I mean, that one thing really pissed me off. I can't think of lazier design.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.