Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 91112131415 LastLast

Thread: Ataribox

1. You know what retro console I'd pay $300 for, even without knowing what games would be on it? Vectrex 2, with actual vector monitor attached. I have no idea how much a color vector monitor would cost, honestly, but I'd push my budget hard if there was an open-source console that came with that hardware.

Absolutely agree! I've been daydreaming schemes to find a vector monitor setup that doesn't cost a fortune ever since spending an afternoon playing SSJN's Vectrex at his shop last year.

3. I'd imagine the price of the CRT would jack the price up.

The Vextrex is my holy grail, but I'll probably never own one. Those are so cool!
    Last edited by gamevet; 01 Oct 2017 at 02:35 PM.

4. I've daydreamed about Vectrex 2 a time or two, so- Base unit basically a Raspberry Pi. Plug it in to anything and it works fine so developers wouldn't be sales-limited to those owning the fancy optional peripheral of the vector monitor, which would be where the bulk of the cost would come from.

I like my fantasy world. It's nice here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    Absolutely agree! I've been daydreaming schemes to find a vector monitor setup that doesn't cost a fortune ever since spending an afternoon playing SSJN's Vectrex at his shop last year.
    Lost Ark gets a Vectrex every once in a while. I've never even looked at the price, I figure I don't really want to know.

6. Also, way off topic but it's Atari in here so I'm ok with this, and as long as we're talking about outdated display technologies-

Last edited by James; 01 Oct 2017 at 10:17 PM.

7. He has the beam controller for the Death Star!

He wins!

8. Last edited by RoleTroll; 03 Jun 2018 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Dollars not boxes!

9. I wonder how much of that can be attributed to nostalgia, and how much is just collectors and speculators.
    I'm old enough to remember the VCS and 2600 being sold new in stores, and I find it hard to get excited about a a throwback product for system that had little more to offer than potato mode versions of early arcade games.

10. They have not sold 2 million of these. They’ve sold $2 million worth of hardware to just over 9200 people.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...computers-pc#/
    Last edited by gamevet; 03 Jun 2018 at 12:32 PM.