Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Ataribox

1. I'd like to try the C64 versions of some of those 2600/5200 games on the C64. I do know that the 2600 trackball works with games like Centipede on the C-64, but I've never tried the 2600 paddles with games like Breakout on the computer.

2. Ataribox

Im not saying this to troll but does anyone actually give a shit about Atari anymore? I can unequivocally say I do not. I didn't 20 years ago. The 2600 is goddamn ancient and everything they did after that was either shit or got steamrolled.

NES Classic was a big hit because the people who grew up with the system have strong feels and also often young kids that they want to introduce the games to. SNES Classic probably will be a big hit because the games are great and it has strong nostalgia.

Trying to revive this brand is like trying to revive some old ass car brand only your grandpa cares about. It would be better if "Atari" named it something that didn't remind people of a company that has failed like 5 times over.

I think you're too young for similar nostalgia to the NES, and I may even be, depending on which years are the most nostalgia-forming. However, the undeath of the brand is a problem regardless. I doubt even the most crazed Atari fans didn't give a damn about Infogrames or the current trademark holder.

4. The people with Atari nostalgia are literally 50+ years ol
    They don't give a damn

5. Ataribox

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I think you're too young for similar nostalgia to the NES, and I may even be, depending on which years are the most nostalgia-forming. However, the undeath of the brand is a problem regardless. I doubt even the most crazed Atari fans didn't give a damn about Infogrames or the current trademark holder.

Does Infogrames still exist? The thing is that Nintendo is still a successful company (more or less). I can play SMB3 on my NES Classic and oh wait here is a new Super Mario from the same company that made that one. Whereas this is some zombie company like those Chinese ones that resurrect brands from when America actually made stuff.

Also there have been like 8 Atari Flashbacks for all the people who actually did have nostalgia for the company.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    The people with Atari nostalgia are literally 50+ years ol
    They don't give a damn
    Yeah......I'm almost 50 years old.

I have nostalgia for Atari, because it was my earliest experience with video games in the arcade (Kee Games Tank) and the 2600 (It's VCS dammit!).

I have some interest in what this is going to be, but short of having a ton of 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar and arcade games loaded on it with some cool controller options, I doubt that it would be worth my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Does Infogrames still exist? The thing is that Nintendo is still a successful company (more or less). I can play SMB3 on my NES Classic and oh wait here is a new Super Mario from the same company that made that one. Whereas this is some zombie company like those Chinese ones that resurrect brands from when America actually made stuff.

Also there have been like 8 Atari Flashbacks for all the people who actually did have nostalgia for the company.
    That was my point. The flaws are less related to nostalgia and more related to the reanimators that are asking us to pay to develop this.

8. The same shit happened with the Commodore brand. A bunch of sketchy foreign holding companies keep trying to slap the logo on generic crap.
    The only halfway interesting thing was the C64 styled PC, but that ended up being over-priced and kind of half-assed.

9. I was 7 years old when Atari split up the first time in 1984. It's been mostly downhill since then.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

10. 1984 was when Jack Tramiel took over. He put the 7800 on mothballs and concentrated on computers to get back at the Commodore board for ousting him from his own company.

The arcade division was still churning out hits like Gauntlet and Roadblasters.