Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 57891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 127

Thread: Ataribox

  1. So you did! My bad. Yeah, that game's link feature is reason enough to own a Lynx. The game looks better than the Genesis version, too. The backgrounds are more detailed and animated.

  2. TBH, I got bored of Todd pretty quickly. Looks great though.

  3. #83
    Some of the older games did lay ground for amazing sequels- Tempest 2000, Tetris TGM series, Majestic 12/Space Invaders 4, Galaga '88, Pac-Mania, and the Namco Classics Arrangement modes (Pac-Man Arrangement any day) to name a few.

    SMS is fine, but many of its arcade releases have been re-ported more faithfully onto newer systems. Any 8-bit that I play is usually an original title. That said, there are some good originals on SMS that I've played, such as Kenseiden and Alex Kidd (a true rival to the first SMB).

    As for SNK, I think they should let the KOF series ride with XIV for a while, and revisit Ikari once. All they need for that is to make the gameplay like the overhead shooter action of the first two, and keep away from the third's beat-em-up action.

    "Your vaunted ninja skills are just cheap show."
    Finished in 2017: 17 games (AC: 1, PC: 15, PS4: 1)

  4. #84
    The classic Atari arcade games are as good as anything. The Lynx is the shit too, and a culmination of a lot of that school of thought. The problem is most people know those games by their shitty VCS ports.

    I've never played Slime World, and it doesn't seem appealing. Is it really worthwhile without the multiplayer angle, because that's not likely to happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post

    SMS is fine, but many of its arcade releases have been re-ported more faithfully onto newer systems. Any 8-bit that I play is usually an original title. That said, there are some good originals on SMS that I've played, such as Kenseiden and Alex Kidd (a true rival to the first SMB).
    Don't trip. Alex Kidd is a great game, but no.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    The classic Atari arcade games are as good as anything. The Lynx is the shit too, and a culmination of a lot of that school of thought. The problem is most people know those games by their shitty VCS ports.

    I've never played Slime World, and it doesn't seem appealing. Is it really worthwhile without the multiplayer angle, because that's not likely to happen?


    Don't trip. Alex Kidd is a great game, but no.
    At that time, the arcade had the definite advantage. It would've taken the NES to get some of Atari's earlier arcade titles done justice on a console. Atari had a shot at the Nintendo Famicom before it became the NES, but that deal went straight to Hell. After reading this, it's hard to not wonder what may have been if things were different. The deal may have been more beneficial to Nintendo than Atari, but chances are it would've beat going on their own with the 7800. Nintendo would've got the Famicom out sooner (Christmas '83). Some dispute with Nintendo about Coleco showing Donkey Kong on the Adam computer caused a delay, which allowed an insider trading scandal involving CEO Ray Kassar to kill it.

    What if it did happen? That would've meant using Atari as a salesforce and even a developer. For Atari, this would have meant a system powerful enough to do their arcade titles justice or with minor compromises. Liberator might have been good on NES, if the rotating planet effect could be done (got to be some way, right?).

    "Your vaunted ninja skills are just cheap show."
    Finished in 2017: 17 games (AC: 1, PC: 15, PS4: 1)

  6. Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    At that time, the arcade had the definite advantage. It would've taken the NES to get some of Atari's earlier arcade titles done justice on a console. Atari had a shot at the Nintendo Famicom before it became the NES, but that deal went straight to Hell. After reading this, it's hard to not wonder what may have been if things were different. The deal may have been more beneficial to Nintendo than Atari, but chances are it would've beat going on their own with the 7800. Nintendo would've got the Famicom out sooner (Christmas '83). Some dispute with Nintendo about Coleco showing Donkey Kong on the Adam computer caused a delay, which allowed an insider trading scandal involving CEO Ray Kassar to kill it.

    What if it did happen? That would've meant using Atari as a salesforce and even a developer. For Atari, this would have meant a system powerful enough to do their arcade titles justice or with minor compromises. Liberator might have been good on NES, if the rotating planet effect could be done (got to be some way, right?).
    Atari did release several of their arcade titles for the NES under the Tengen label, while games like 720 were licensed out to 3rd parties.

  7. Tengen Tetris, anyone... and led to Klax.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    Don't trip. Alex Kidd is a great game, but no.
    Agreed. But the Wonder Boy games make up for that. Shit, there are a LOT of good original SMS games. Penguin Land, Zillion, Golvellius, Phantasy Star... I'd love an SMS retro console.

  9. Get you an analog nt mini.

  10. Ataribox

    Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    The classic Atari arcade games are as good as anything. The Lynx is the shit too, and a culmination of a lot of that school of thought. The problem is most people know those games by their shitty VCS ports.

    I've never played Slime World, and it doesn't seem appealing. Is it really worthwhile without the multiplayer angle, because that's not likely to happen?
    Excellent summary of the Lynx philosophy. The Lynx was the best place to find Atari arcade ports from the mid-80s to early 90s. Atari was right up there with Sega in terms of arcade prowess during that period, and this was the place to play those games at home.

    I would say Slime World is more fun than most "Metroidvania" clones from indie devs that release nowadays. It's got 6 missions with varied goals that are selectable from the start, all of which are doable single player.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

    "Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Games.com logo