Page 1 of 15 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Ataribox

Ataribox

Quote Originally Posted by The Rotting Corpse of Atari
    Inspired by classic Atari design elements (such as the iconic use of wood, ribbed lines, and raised back); we are creating a smooth design, with ribs that flow seamlessly all around the body of the product, a front panel that can be either wood or glass, a front facing logo, indicator lights that glow through the material, and an array of new ports (HDMI, 4xUSB, SD). We intend to release two editions: a wood edition, and a black/red edition.

As you can guess, those ports suggest modern internal specs. It also means that while we will be delivering classic gaming content, we will also be delivering current gaming content.

We know you are hungry for more details; on specs, games, features, pricing, timing etc. We’re not teasing you intentionally; we want to get this right, so we’ve opted to share things step by step as we bring Ataribox to life, and to listen closely to Atari community feedback as we do so. There are a lot of milestones, challenges and decision points in front of us in the months ahead. We’ll be giving you lots more information and status updates as we progress, and we are thrilled to have you along for the ride!
    Link with pics

This appears to be a solution looking for a problem to me.

2. Oh yeah.

3. Just fucking no. We don't need more shit like this in the market.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

PC Gamer compared it to an NES Mini. If it's an actually competent Flashback at the right price, then I may be interested, especially if they go up through the Jaguar on it or at least don't limit it to 2600.

5. It's not going to be a flashback like device.

6. I don't get the point of this at all.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

7. It's going to be a micro-console for retro-ish (but not necessarily emulated) downloadable games.

8. Hey, it could play Skyrim! That's exciting!

9. I have a hard enough time finding a reason to buy a real console these days.
    They'll have to do better than 'It's got wood!'

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    It's going to be a micro-console for retro-ish (but not necessarily emulated) downloadable games.
    If they're emulated, they're not retro in any typical case. If this thing only plays retro games, it has no value whatsoever.