Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: This Month's Haul: August is too damn hot edition.

yep

ultimate depository of knowledge, it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I hauled in what's proven to be a $90 paperweight.

TL;DR version- The turbo everdrive is a hot pile of garbage.

The fact that there is no "Here's what you need to do to get started" documentation is a hot pile of garbage. The fact that you need to google your ass off for a half hour in order to learn that you need to download a special file and put it on your memory card is a hot pile of garbage. The fact that the NONE of the files on Stone Age Gamer is the one you need is a hot pile of garbage. You need to go to the guy that actually builds the thing to get the file. But there's no way you'd know that from the product page or the pathetic business card of tips SAG sends you.
    I can't get it to work on my Duo.
    Is it because of the micro sd card I'm using? Maybe! But there's no way to know for sure.
    Is it because of the third party adapter Keith Courage sent me? Maybe! But there's no way to know for sure.
    Is it because I have a region mod? Maybe! But there's no way to know for sure.
    Is it because I have a component mod? Maybe! But there's no way to know for sure.

I fucked with the thing for 4 hours yesterday. Just about every time I'd try to boot it I'd get a different error message/code. That's why I can't know for sure wtf is going on. A buddy is bringing his unmodded PC engine by sometime in the next week so we can try it on that.
    Really frickin' disappointed though.
    Which version of Turbo Everdrive do you have?

It's a great thing when it works but yeah, I've heard about all kinds of incompatibilities. On top of all that you mentioned, a lot of the roms on the net don't work on real hardware (not the Everdrives fault, but still a PITA.) I'm going to be region modding my Duo sometime soon and I'm kinda scared that my Turbo ED won't work afterwards, although it does work in my region modded PCE and TG16.

If you don't mind opening up the Duo one thing that can help is to make sure that your region mod chip is pulling power directly from the 5V output of the voltage regulator. The traditional way of powering the region mod chip is to just connect it to the hucard 5v pin as it's neater, but sometimes that ends up being slightly less than 5v and that's just enough for the ED not to work.

If you want I can send you my loaded TED for testing, and if mine works you could just send me yours and I could see if it works on my stuff, and if it does we can just keep the other's drive. Mine's the original 1.whatever model though, if you've got a TED 2 that's the better one to keep as it has some fixes and is generally more compatible.

3. It's a 2.5. The same friend that's bringing his PCE is also bringing his TED, so we can try different configurations. Thanks though!

On the taking the Duo apart suggestion, I did that once already. Don't really want to do it again. I was NOT impressed with what I saw in there. People seem to love KC's work, but for $400 I was expecting something a bit more professional looking internally and much nicer externally. The whole situation kinda pissed me off. First, for some reason the price he charged me was $10 more than what the thread advertised. It bugged me a little at first, but whatever I really wanted a recapped Duo with all the fixings. Then I get the system and it has an issue with CDs. I had to pay to ship back the original system he sent me after having it for 1 day. That really bugged me. The bullshit aftermarket power supply with a two foot cord really bugged me. The beat up core grafx controller with ugly, stained cord he sent because he didn't have any Duo controllers and "it looks close enough" really bugged me. The scratched up case on the system really bugged me.
    But I sucked it all up because it was my fault for having stars in my eyes and not asking some basic questions before I leapt. But based on reputation I thought I'd be safe. I'm not going to say he's awful or whatever because I'm sure I'm the ONE person that gets shafted because that's my luck.
    But I spent money I probably shouldn't have to get the system (this was when I was paying myself 1 paycheck out of 4 to keep the store afloat) and I blew my month's worth of fun money on this dumb card I can't get to work.
    Shoulda just stuck with playing games on the Ouya!

p.s. It's the intro-set, which everyone seemed to recommend.

4. Some dude on atariage is selling a recapped Duo for 599, holy hell I am not going to buy this system. Just stick with emulation.

5. I was thinking of getting a standard TG-16 with an Everdrive, but this kind of makes me wary. Did you try it only on a Duo?

I hate that you're having such trouble, it's a fantastic system that every gamer should have.

BTW kof, even recapped what price is highway robbery. Fuck dat nigga. $350 should be the top end for a working loose unmodded Japanese system.

7. So far, Duo only. I actually had a TG16 in here the week before I decided I wanted a TED, but it sold.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I hauled in what's proven to be a $90 paperweight.

TL;DR version- The turbo everdrive is a hot pile of garbage.

The fact that there is no "Here's what you need to do to get started" documentation is a hot pile of garbage. The fact that you need to google your ass off for a half hour in order to learn that you need to download a special file and put it on your memory card is a hot pile of garbage. The fact that the NONE of the files on Stone Age Gamer is the one you need is a hot pile of garbage. You need to go to the guy that actually builds the thing to get the file. But there's no way you'd know that from the product page or the pathetic business card of tips SAG sends you.
    I can't get it to work on my Duo.
    Is it because of the micro sd card I'm using? Maybe! But there's no way to know for sure.
    Is it because of the third party adapter Keith Courage sent me? Maybe! But there's no way to know for sure.
    Is it because I have a region mod? Maybe! But there's no way to know for sure.
    Is it because I have a component mod? Maybe! But there's no way to know for sure.

I fucked with the thing for 4 hours yesterday. Just about every time I'd try to boot it I'd get a different error message/code. That's why I can't know for sure wtf is going on. A buddy is bringing his unmodded PC engine by sometime in the next week so we can try it on that.
    Really frickin' disappointed though.

For any of the everdrives google Smokemonster Rom set. You have to sign up for the forum he has them on, but he has everything you need on there. It'll include any OS files and have them in the right spot. I think you should be fine with any micro SD card up to 32 gigs I believe ( you don't need anything that big for the turbo everdrive) but I think anything above that won't read. Did you have him do a region mod on the system, those can some times not work with the everdrives.

I would also say that some times it seems like its pushed all the way in but its really not, even if the power thing slides into place.

I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with KC. While his wire work is no wheres near as nice as some one like Voultar he did a good job on mine, though I want to replace the RGB mod in it.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

9. I had a Toshiba 4gb laying around that was from a 3DS XL.
    I went to Best Buy to find another MSD, but all they had that was smallish was a 16gb ULTRA thing that I was worried was too new for it.

10. I believe that will work, it just needs to be formatted to FAT32, with SD Formatter. Also make sure that the TBED folder with the OS file is on the root of the card and not in another directory.

Do you have any actual games you can test it with? Also what does it give you, is it just a colored screen or is it no os found? If It's just a colored screen I wonder if you were super unlucky and got a not working everdrive.

I think you mentioned stoneagegamer they should be good about replacing it.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.