Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFO 50

1. UFO 50

I love this. A small group of indie devs (including the Spelunky and Downwell guys) are basically making an original 50-in-1 bootleg cart. They look super appealing.

2. Looking forward to this!

3. That trailer is packed but I see some great ideas there. Can't wait.

4. It could use some Cheetahmen.

5. Neat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post

I love this. A small group of indie devs (including the Spelunky and Downwell guys) are basically making an original 50-in-1 bootleg cart. They look super appealing.
    God damnit, I've been working on something like this in my spare time. The execution is very different, but the premise is likewise an 8-bit bootleg multicart parody and that's a fairly specific and original idea that no longer is.

It's not like I've gotten far with it or anything but it still...
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 10 Aug 2017 at 10:29 PM.

7. That's upsetting! Don't abandon it though, keep going.

Are you programming it? What engine?

8. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    That's upsetting! Don't abandon it though, keep going.

Are you programming it? What engine?
    Just GameMaker for now. Which seems perfectly adequate for 8-bit graphics. I've been trying to learn Unity, with my main incentive being to use a CRT filter that would give the game a more authentic old-TV look, but I'm not totally convinced it's worth it.

I designed the concept in part to consider my limited programming and art abilities (I can draw and I've done some pixel art in the past, but I'm not a trained artist). It's pretty different than this, and focuses more on turning the magical jankiness of those games into a mechanic, but I'm still bummed that I know it's going to look less original.

9. That's awesome. I'm working in GM again as well, fiddling around with some platformer stuff. You can do the filter with shaders in GM, although shaders themselves are not written in GML. This guy is porting one to GM soon-

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.ph...1/#post-197338

I'm sure there are many others though.

10. Oh, that's pretty good! Probably good enough for my purposes. Thanks for the tip. I may give that a go.