Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tempest 4000 (PC, PS4, XBOne)

1. Release date is confirmed as 7/17. No more delays please.

2. Just got it. $20 on PC, $30 on PS4 (Xbox One's is $30 as well, I guess).
    Some differences from TxK- it's now every 100,000 for extra lives, not 80,000. There's also a Beauty powerup that makes you invincible for a few seconds & doubles the points on all kills while it lasts. The special effects get a bit wilder than TxK- flowers explode into a shipload of petals when killed, there is some blur as you're leaving a stage just before warping out. Gameplay is somewhat rebalanced with some new enemies added.
    DualShock 4's tilt control for the warp-outs is a bit tricky at first. It takes a light touch.

One reason for all the delays is a need to localize T4000 to 6 languages.
    Just don't try to run it at more than 60 Hz/60 FPS on PC. The game speed will increase along with the framerate, making it unplayably fast at 144.

3. There are so many arcade style games with that issue, it’s ridiculous

4. I might pick it up when it is on sale, I am kinda burn out from this series.

5. PC version was rushed due to localization being insane and Xbox One taking forever. Giles (engine grunt-work half of Llamasoft) admits this, and once he's recovered from getting the game out there should be a patch for the PC version.

Also, how can you be burned out on Tempest? The last one was Tempest 3000 in 2000. Unless you played TxK, in which case this is a revamped version of the same game so that would make sense.

6. I played the crap out of T2K and TxK, but also played quite a bit of Space Giraffe. I actually like SG quite a bit, unlike most people but couldn't hack the higher levels where you literally can't see anything.

7. I bought this yesterday and forgot to play it. Will sink my teeth in when I get home. I got the PC version because of the lower price and promise of forward compatibility, so I'll just trust that they'll clean it up at some point. I have a 60Hz monitor and the other things don't bother me much.

8. I feel like this one needs a little more work. Aside from the lack of options, the menus/UI are weirdly unintuitive (LB to pause, seemingly arbitrary buttons for other things, button to select music totally undocumented...), and the controls are crazy loose with no options to tweak them. Like if I'm moving full speed it takes almost a second to decelerate fully. I also would have preferred if the controls were strictly left-right like in Space Giraffe.

I do love the look of it and the soundtrack. There's a lot to like, but I feel like it could have used some polish time to get the controls and interface right.

9. I didn't play TxK so don't have that to compare it to, but I found the controls in Tempest 4000 PC fairly tight. There's maybe 1/10th of a second before stopping, but that's about it. Also the left trigger acts as a break, plus lets you sneak a claw into the next lane over to tag whatever may be flipping your way. I'll grant that the interface is pretty bad, but that's a Llamasoft tradition.

10. The left trigger brake thing is weird... I didn't know that, but how would you expect people to figure that out? It's not even in the control list in the documentation. Knowing that helps, kinda, but it also seems needlessly complicated compared to just tightening up the controls.

I have to call you out on the 1/10th of a second thing. Space Giraffe was like a quarter second and this is several times worse.