Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 57891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Small-Press Games

1. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Games can't become worthless again soon enough.
    I highly doubt that is going to happen anytime soon, unless the hobby becomes unpopular. It's not the same as Hot Wheels and Beanie Babies that are just objects sitting on a shelf.

it would take something really odd. Hot Wheels, the first ones, used to be really collectible. Like the ones from the 60s and 70s. And the same for matchbox cars from the 50s and 60s.

But hotwheels killed a lot of that market. They just keep pumping them out. Star Wars is a little bit the same way. They just kept pumping shit out. The 90s stuff is almost worthless.

No, for the price of games to drop a few things would have to happen. Either the real companies would have to start making carts again, filling the demand. Or there is some weird paradigm shift in our generation so that people just dont want the stuff anymore.

And I can't fathom either happening. Maybe, just maybe Sega would do something like that. They're getting smarter about embracing the desires of fans. And really, it would probably take 2 dollars or less to pump out a gen cart and case, and they could sell the rare stuff for retail and make money. But Nintendo is never going to do it. They can't even be bothered to release mother 3, let alone Earth Bound again on original cart.

And a paradigm shift away from the hobby, I cant imagine what would cause it. I guess Trump getting California nuked and we all take to the Fury Road. But thats the catch, you're not going to be worried about game prices either if the end times come.

Really, it is simple supply and demand.

If you want the prices to drop, the supply has to go up or the demand has to go down. For the supply to go up, either someone has to start making these things again or the existing games have to come back into the market. And for that to happen, the current owners have to want to let go of them or die.

4. The thing is, more and more people I talk to are beginning to feel the way I do. The hobby just isn't fun anymore for a bunch of us.
    There may be entire collections dumped on the market relatively soon. Absolutely not enough to drive prices back to where they were 5 years ago, but maybe enough to stabilize them and put things back into the reasonable arena. The truly rare stuff will stay truly expensive, of course, I'm not arguing that. But I hope the days of $30 beat up Legend of Zelda carts end soon. Just like how Final Fantasy VII has nose dived the rest of the common, yet popular stuff should too.

I really wonder what these nintendo age assholes think they're going to get for their $30,000 sealed games in 30 years. What's a good estimate of what $30,000 conservatively invested today would be worth in 2047?

At a 10% annual return mutual fund you'd have over half a million dollars.

This is why "investing" in games is idiotic imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    The thing is, more and more people I talk to are beginning to feel the way I do. The hobby just isn't fun anymore for a bunch of us.
    There may be entire collections dumped on the market relatively soon. Absolutely not enough to drive prices back to where they were 5 years ago, but maybe enough to stabilize them and put things back into the reasonable arena. The truly rare stuff will stay truly expensive, of course, I'm not arguing that. But I hope the days of $30 beat up Legend of Zelda carts end soon. Just like how Final Fantasy VII has nose dived the rest of the common, yet popular stuff should too.

I really wonder what these nintendo age assholes think they're going to get for their $30,000 sealed games in 30 years. What's a good estimate of what $30,000 conservatively invested today would be worth in 2047?
    It really depends on at what rate they leave. If they all leave at one time, you will see a momentary dip. If they do it one at a time, prices will hold but not go up as everything reaches a state of equilibrium.

So I guess that is the bright side. We may be seeing prices reach their limit. This shit isn't food at the end of the day. The market has a limit on what it will pay, despite supply or demand, for luxury goods.

8. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    At a 10% annual return mutual fund you'd have over half a million dollars.

This is why "investing" in games is idiotic imo.
    10% return is pretty optimistic and must assume quite a bit of risk to hit that on average.

Kids that get into this market now is at much higher risk of losing their shirt, especially if they are going for those stupidly inflated prices like sealed games. I didn't get into this hobby to earn a return, but I also don't mind that my 20-30year shit is worth more than what I paid. If it all goes to 0 tomorrow, it doesn't bother me either since I actually play and enjoy them.

I get to know a few kids in their 20s that just graduated and have a job, for the first time they have disposable income and collect games. I feel bad, the financial guy in me wanted to scream at them to put their money away so you can retire at 40 instead of these shit. But they aren't going to listen, thanks for propping up the market for me.

Drop it to 6% if you're pessimistic and my point still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    "Keep it" sounds good on paper, but, in addition to the stuff SSJN mentioned, caps blow and discs rot. This stuff won't be good forever.
    I wonder when the epidemic of broken cartridges will occur (it's already a gamble for magnetic media). When I moved to a much smaller place earlier this year, I also downsized collection by hundreds of games. I didn't have time to test everything but I tried a lot and I noticed some early '80s cartridges had stopped working.

Also, red label Genesis cartridge stickers are getting that splotchy glue deteriorating look like old Activision games get.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 17 Sep 2017 at 12:08 PM.