View Poll Results: When did you learn about the daughters of the confederacy?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • In Public School

1 14.29%
  • In College

0 0%
  • On my own

6 85.71%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: daughters of the confederacy

daughters of the confederacy

daughters of the confederacy seem to be a hot topic right now. It is becoming more and more known that probably more than 60% of the civil war statues in the US were erected by members of the daughters of the confederacy in spite of civil rights progress.

But there is an overall ignorance of this in the areas where they are erected. The average southerner does not know about the daughters of the confederacy. They do not know that they published textbooks that focused on the "good southerner" while ignoring racists politicians and ultra wealthy that left behind declarations, diaries, etc that made their racist intentions known.

And they do not know about the dixiecrats and their efforts to keep the democratic party racist and in doing so, helped ignite the party cultural flip.

So my question is, was anyone taught about this in high school? North or south?

For me there was almost nothing between the civil war and the civil rights movement. Just a few pages of bad things. "these were teh bad things that helped spark the civil rights movement"

Nothing about a conspiracy by political groups in the south to mislead people from 1865 to 1970
    Last edited by Fe 26; 28 Aug 2017 at 10:08 AM.

2. Anyone against Daughters is a sexist, chauvinist, pig whose hatred is fueled by toxic masculinity.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. I never learned about the attempts to actively distort history in the south, but the version I learned acknowledged the racist intentions of the Confederates, the Dixiecrats, the Klan, Jim Crow, etc. It did tend to gloss over the support for these things by northerners though (Woodrow Wilson's awful racism, for example).

Wasn't a sizable amount of early transportation in the northeast set up in a way to keep poor brown people out?

Like not running public transit by wealthier areas? Making bridges too small for buses?

5. What point are you trying to make? You keep arguing what appears to be multiple sides and you're making no sense.

Please clearly explain in no more than a couple sentences what your argument is.
    Last edited by bbobb; 28 Aug 2017 at 12:09 PM.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

You're a butt.

He has you there.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    You're a butt.
    Good point

9. IAWTP
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Wasn't a sizable amount of early transportation in the northeast set up in a way to keep poor brown people out?
    Probably. Whitey still does not want public transportation going from the city to his neighborhood. People have been/are fighting the light rail expansion up here for that reason.