View Poll Results: When did you learn about the daughters of the confederacy?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • In Public School

1 14.29%
  • In College

0 0%
  • On my own

6 85.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: daughters of the confederacy

1. Yup, same here. When the Light Rail went from South Sac (economically poor area/predominately people of color) to Downtown, people threw a garbage day fit. Predictably, crime rose downtown exponentially. But, a lot people were also able to get to work and school without use of a car.

Anyway, since this is CA and we just learn about the Gold Rush in grade school, I didn't know a Daughters of the Confederacy was even a thing until I was reading about Gone with the Wind and the history of the Confederacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

2. Anecdotal, but within 2 years of the trainstop opening in the suburbs, my truck was broken into twice. First time they got the radio, second time they got the truck, took it to Mexico, ripped out the back seat, drove it across the border into Texas and abandoned it. Two other coworkers had thier vehicles stolen in those two years. Trains are awesome ways to quickly get in and out of areas and blend into the crowd.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    So my question is, was anyone taught about this in high school? North or south?

For me there was almost nothing between the civil war and the civil rights movement. Just a few pages of bad things. "these were teh bad things that helped spark the civil rights movement"

Nothing about a conspiracy by political groups in the south to mislead people from 1865 to 1970
    Not quite sure what you're asking.

Yes, the Daughters of the Confederacy is one of the racist, white supremacist organizations responsible for erecting a large number of the Confederate memorial statutes that exist in the South. Yes, these statues were almost all erected in the 20th century, not after the Civil War.

Yes, the Daughters of the Confederacy was active in the 20th century, and opposed civil rights and supported white supremacy and racism.

Yes, the Confederacy memorials are intended to support white supremacy and racism, not Civil War history.

No, this was not taught in my high school.

Generally, the entire Reconstruction era is taught as though it either did not happen or viewed through an extremely negative lens. This is something that needs to change.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

4. daughters of the confederacy

Well Reconstruction was a disaster for everyone, the great American what-if is how it would have gone down if we didn't have maybe the worst President in charge at the start.

We have a strange situation here in that, for the purposes of reconciliation, history was allowed to be written by the losers. I guess it's happened before but I don't remember when.

It goes without saying that screwed things up immeasurably and we are seeing another effect today: if you don't think the CSA was top to bottom filled with proto-Nazis you are one. So it's gone from one extreme to another. Maybe in 200 years there can be a clear eyed analysis of it.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 28 Aug 2017 at 03:42 PM.

5. America likes writing history for losers. Look at all the Holocaust memorials, our obsession with slavery, the Confederacy, Nazis. The Vietnam wall. All losers who couldn't defend themselves.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Doc has no defence against deez nuts.

I never learned about the daughters of the confederacy but the US civil war, Jim Crow, etc. were brought up in class sometimes, probably to give context to novels we were reading.

edit - This thread is making Kentucky tourism ads show up.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 28 Aug 2017 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    So my question is, was anyone taught about this in high school?
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    Not quite sure what you're asking.....

No, this was not taught in my high school.

I think you figured it out by the end.

You and bbobb are looking for something far more complicated than is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    America likes writing history for losers. Look at all the Holocaust memorials, our obsession with slavery, the Confederacy, Nazis. The Vietnam wall. All losers who couldn't defend themselves.
    Holy shit, a knife with so much edge, it cuts itself.

10. I didn't know the daughters of the confederacy were a thing until now - but I never went to high school.
    Boo, Hiss.