Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 24567810 ... LastLast

Thread: Melf and his family are about to be engulfed by hurricane Irma...uh Maria?

1. I am absolutely down for that but are they even able to receive mail?
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

2. I like to donate through www.globalgiving.org/aboutus

From what I've read, they ensure money is put to good use in relief efforts by working with organizations/people on a local level.

Example, the earthquake/tsunami in Japan awhile back -- https://www.globalgiving.org/project.../reports/#menu
    Last edited by Shinobi128; 22 Sep 2017 at 06:52 PM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Considering my family is from there I obviously want to do something. I have one uncle still on the island and he's ok but everything is fucked up.

All these charities are shady though. I feel burned after a bunch of them.
    I've heard that donating to American Red Cross isn't the best option. A lot of that money doesn't go towards relief.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ctly-to-harvey
    Last edited by gamevet; 23 Sep 2017 at 12:38 AM.

4. Melf and his family are about to be engulfed by hurricane Irma...uh Maria?

The problem is these organizations have a certain infrastructure for a certain amount of revenue and programs. Then a hurricane gets a lot of press and they get 1000x that number and don’t know how to process it efficiently so it gets wasted.

Everyone has heard the stories about hurricane clothing drives and people donate their old sweaters to go to the Caribbean or food drives that get six year old canned corn. The sad thing is that I’m not sure donating money is any better.

5. One of my best friends is a professional fundraiser, (like, he's contracted out for multiple non profits to raise money for a variety of causes) and money is the best thing you can donate from a distance, guaranteed. If it's a local situation (florida, etc) volunteering and blood donation is greatly welcomed.

6. And yet I donated money to a bunch of disaster shit and a year later I hear about how 98% of the money is unspent.

7. wait, source on that? I've never heard that.

8. Ah, interesting! I wasn't sure why people were all of a sudden bitching out the Red Cross, but this makes sense.