Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2456

Thread: Octopath Traveler (Switch)

1. So now that 1st impressions have worn down a bit, are you guys still having a blast with this game? The soundtrack and effects are still blowing me away. I 1st walked into the Frostlands and had to stop to enjoy the look and presentation along with the music. They fucking nailed it perfectly for me.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

I'm only like 5 or 6 hours in and it's getting much better now that I have a balanced party of 4. It doesn't seem like I've been playing that long.

3. I played it way too much. After 30 hours, I am burnt out. Still have a long way to go. My 8 characters are imbalanced (I have 3 38s, 1 32, 1 25, and 3 12-15s). All I can do is have the 38s carry one of them to get to a moderate level to handle their Chapter 2 stories.

The main story pieces are too short to keep everyone leveled high enough IMO (I define "high enough" not by difficulty, per se, but more about "recommended level") unless you do all of the following:
    a) keep only two main members and rotate out the other two as needed (I did 3/1)
    b) do not equip the "Avoid Encounters" or whatever the Skill is called (I had this one for the first chapters)
    c) Wear the amulet that attracts more random encounters

The dungeons aren't long enough to simply go from story to story and keep your party mostly the same. Granted, you can beat the game at a lower level than the recommended value.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 23 Jul 2018 at 04:42 PM.

4. 30 hours in an the love affair is over. Problems:

Writing can be terrible and boring
    Story is the most generic shit ever
    Music is FANTASTIC but there's only like an hour of total music so it's getting repetitive
    Why isn't anyone in your party ever a part of the story for any other characters fucking ever? They can't even stand there?
    Honestly the 4 best support skills for each character type can be giving to a character before their second chapter
    The battle system is rewarding at first but so simple and so slow that it gets old quick
    There's no real meat to any side quests
    There's I believe zero mini games of any sort
    The exact same "start a chapter and listen to some story, do a dungeon, fight the boss, end that chapter" every single time is terrible. All 24 chapters are the same fucking thing.

This game was a fun throwback, but it's no Persona 5.

5. Oh man, the side quests are laughably bad.

6. I've unlocked all the secret jobs and finished 3 story lines.

To be clear, this game is very good at what it does and I'm totally going to finish it. It's a good game.

If they added some better side quests, made the build of your party matter during story bits, and got rid of random encounters, a sequel could be an amazing game.