Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91921222324252737 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing (Autumn, 2017)?

Quote Originally Posted by Headphone Actor View Post
    VI is one of my favorites. I love all of the Final Fantasy games I have played. I’m young so I don’t get all the VIII hate honestly. Also I’m partial to it because it was released the year I was born.

Odin Sphere is awesome. Are you playing the ps2 version or one of the newer releases?
    VIII followed 7, and didn't live up to the blockbuster hit that it was. Also, if I remember correctly, it punishes you for playing it like a normal jrpg.

2. I love VII, but I don’t really get why it was such a blockbuster. I mean I know it was the first heavily advertised jrpg in the west. I also know it popularized the genre, but I just don’t think it’s the best.

I just don’t have the context y’know. It came out two years before I was born, so I don’t know what the launch was like.

I just have the game and the 20 years of hype to go by, but with the remake I might be able to get something close to the same feeling. Not sure though.

3. VII wasn't the greatest either, but it wasn't the shitfest that was VIII
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Headphone Actor View Post
    I love VII, but I don’t really get why it was such a blockbuster. I mean I know it was the first heavily advertised jrpg in the west. I also know it popularized the genre, but I just don’t think it’s the best.

I just don’t have the context y’know. It came out two years before I was born, so I don’t know what the launch was like.

I just have the game and the 20 years of hype to go by, but with the remake I might be able to get something close to the same feeling. Not sure though.
    You'll never get the same feeling. 7 was like the invention of the car for a lot of people. Japanese rpgs were arguably uncommon before 7. It was a lot of people's first jrpg or any type of rpg for that matter.

(and before anyone wants to argue otherwise because you and all your buds played rpgs in your cul de sac. FF6 has only sold 4 million copies while 7 has sold 12 million copies. 6 was super popular for a snes game, and 7 has still sold 3 times more units.)

5. The Last Guardian - This is janky as shit, but it's incredibly endearing.
    Boo, Hiss.

6. I’m not too hung up about being able to feel the same way then. I’m from a time where they’re more likely to get released in the west, or emulation isn’t a big deal so I can play unreleased gems.

Are those all sales from 97 or bolstered sales from things like psn or steam? :0

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    You'll never get the same feeling. 7 was like the invention of the car for a lot of people. Japanese rpgs were arguably uncommon before 7. It was a lot of people's first jrpg or any type of rpg for that matter.

(and before anyone wants to argue otherwise because you and all your buds played rpgs in your cul de sac. FF6 has only sold 4 million copies while 7 has sold 12 million copies. 6 was super popular for a snes game, and 7 has still sold 3 times more units.)
    Sony market the crap out of FF7. I remembered the ads making it look like an action game, and thought to myself, a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

FF7 was one of those "you had to be there" things. The hype was real, then a little later people realized it wasn't the best thing ever and there was a major backlash. Hell, I failed my English class that year because I skipped class to play FF7 at release.

9. I had a friend who basically failed out of college to play FF7.
    Fortunately, I helped steer him in the right direction and play SoulBlade all day instead.

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Sony market the crap out of FF7. I remembered the ads making it look like an action game, and thought to myself, a lot of people are going to be disappointed.
    And a lot of those that were tricked stuck around. I don't recall anyone being super upset by what they got.

I do remember kids that had never played a rpg treating it like jesus.