Page 36 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2232343536373840 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing (Autumn, 2017)?

1. Asura - Surprisingly good rogue like hack n slash RPG with an Indian mythological setting. Along with the items and levels, the skill trees are also randomised, which makes each playthrough play differently. It's 5 bucks on steam right now, totally worth it.

Pyre - I'm not sure how this slipped under my radar, Supergiant Games are one of my favorite indie developers (Bastion, Transistor). Its kinda hard to describe, its like an RPG sports strategy game i guess? As per usual for Supergiant games, it has utterly beautiful art and the gameplay mechanics are really tight. My only complaint is that there can be a lot of story wedged between games so you end up waiting 10 minutes between them sometimes. You should buy it if you like their other games, it's only $10 at the moment.

Overwatch - Started playing this again. I love this game but i swear that the quickplay games have become even more retarded. I hate seeing a team with no tanks or healers before the game even starts, so you know your team is going to get trounced unless the other team are as stupid as yours.
    Last edited by arjue; 29 Dec 2017 at 07:53 PM.

2. F.E.A.R. (PC)- Started it on extreme difficulty. It does look a bit rough graphically compared to Project Origin, but it plays nearly as good and has the dual-wielding which the sequel skipped. Definitely better than F.E.A.R. 3 in gameplay and scare factor.

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC) - First completion of 2018, on I Am Death Incarnate. Machine Games did a great job of taking over this series, leaving Raven's attempt at a reboot in their dust. The alt-fire modes on the weapons are useful, like the assault rifle RPG and the Laserkraftwerk's bolts. The dual-wielding kicks ass. BJ's dialogue before going off to fight the last boss is memorable. "General... before the day is done, I will have you at the end of my blade- and force your surrender. Crawled down a hole, General? Won't save you. I'm coming for ya." Mick Gordon's soundtrack is gold. Now buying the sequel, which is on Steam sale for $29.99 ($39.99 for deluxe).

3. I'm likewise going back to finish Wolfenstein, which I played to Chapter 7 and then left in my pile of shame. I'm now up to Chapter 13, should be able to finish by the weekend. Very fun game. Waiting on the Switch port to jump into the sequel, given how long it took me to sit down and finish the first. Doom left me pretty optimistic about Bethesda's ability to make id Tech 6 games look great on Switch.

Still trekking through Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the commute. I like this game enough, but I'm realizing a huge part of that is just this compelling world they've built. There quest design really is an awful lot of fetching, and the side quests are sometimes ponderously long, and you can dead end when you need a skill or something that you can't get yet.

I also picked up Mighty Gunvolt Burst, which has made a good first impression. It's more substantial than Mighty Gunvolt, and feels like a full game, and its more fun than Mighty No. 9 (which I didn't hate).

Bought a bunch of stuff on Oculus' sale, but not touching them until I finish Wolf.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 02 Jan 2018 at 04:21 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by arjue View Post
    Asura - Surprisingly good rogue like hack n slash RPG with an Indian mythological setting. Along with the items and levels, the skill trees are also randomised, which makes each playthrough play differently. It's 5 bucks on steam right now, totally worth it.
    uhhhh

I'm playing this right now and it rules. Thanks for the recommendation; this is right up my alley.

5. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC)- Playing on the I Am Death Incarnate setting. Impressed with it so far, and the graphics are quite a big jump over New Order. The gameplay is at least as good as the first, complete with the dual-wielding. I'm loving the Dieselkraftwerk sticky bomb launcher. If you save Wyatt, you get this. Saving Fergus gives you the Laserkraftwerk instead.

6. Taking a break from DS2 for Dark Souls 3.

Up through Irithyll using a mainly STR build with the Butcher Knife. Just got the FUGS, but I'm not loving the move set and requirements.
    Boo, Hiss.

7. FUGS is crap. Stick to the butcher blade and the zweihander until you can get the Farron Greatsword or Yorhms Machete on a strength build.

Though honestly the butcher blade alone can get you through the whole game.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

8. Started Yakuza 0. This is so fun! Games that feature 1980's Tokyo really hit my nostalgia buttons, so this game really connects with me. Last night I played a few rounds of mahjong and Space Harrier before running into some mad woman on the street who taught me beast mode. There's a lot of talk but the fighting engine is pretty decent, way better than I expected!
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

Hollow Knight- this is so good. Everything about it, aesthetic, visual, sound, the freedom of exploration, I really dont have a single thing I'd change. I bought this on sale alongside Wonderboy III but this has taken over.
    I often see complaints about indie Metroidvania types, but I think this is the one genre where the indie devs have really beaten out the classics.
    Quote Originally Posted by arjue View Post
    Asura - Surprisingly good rogue like hack n slash RPG with an Indian mythological setting. Along with the items and levels, the skill trees are also randomised, which makes each playthrough play differently. It's 5 bucks on steam right now, totally worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    uhhhh

I'm playing this right now and it rules. Thanks for the recommendation; this is right up my alley.
    Yeah, this is a lot of fun. I dig it.

Dominions 5- Dom4 was one of my most played games of the last 3 years, but even though it looks mostly same the same it improves enough quality of life things I could never go back. My Lion God's Wakandans and spider cavalry ran amok until some frog wizards checked that shit.
    Last edited by Vasteel; 04 Jan 2018 at 11:18 PM.

10. Dark Souls 3 - Everyone's done but the Wyvern and Nameless King before the final battle.
    Boo, Hiss.