Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outcast: Second Contact (PC, PS4, XBOne)

1. Outcast: Second Contact (PC, PS4, XBOne)

Last year, the developers of Outcast failed to raise money for an HD remake on Kickstarter. It seems development has carried on anyway and it's now slated for a March release and looking very nice. If they waited until it looked this good before going to Kickstarter, of course, I'm sure they'd have been more successful, but of course it seems they didn't need it in the end.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Attached Images Attached Images

I read the thread title as "Outlast" and thought, "I'm surprised anyone cares enough to make a thread about the sequel." Now I'm much less surprised. I've never played the original but recognize that I need to.

3. that's a lot of voxels

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I read the thread title as "Outlast" and thought, "I'm surprised anyone cares enough to make a thread about the sequel." Now I'm much less surprised. I've never played the original but recognize that I need to.
    They did a modernized port called "Outcast 1.1" a while back, but at this point might as well wait for this remake.

It's kind of odd to see these companies put out updated ports in order to fund remakes that in some way supplant those same ports. System Shock did the same thing.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    that's a lot of voxels
    This is a lot of voxels.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GIVoxels_New1.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	79299

The original is still awesome so I would prefer a sequel over a remake but I can't complain too much. Those screens look great. The style is still there. Hopefully they won't dumb down the design. Going back to it a few years ago, it was refreshing to have a big 3d action-adventure without much handholding.

Outcast is one of the best games I've ever played. If they can ramp the combat difficulty and enemy AI up a touch and make shooting in first person work, I'm all in.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

8. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    The original is still awesome so I would prefer a sequel over a remake but I can't complain too much.
    The hope is that this will help lay the foundation and (if it sells well) budget for a sequel. That's very much what they hope to do next.

Those screens look great. The style is still there. Hopefully they won't dumb down the design. Going back to it a few years ago, it was refreshing to have a big 3d action-adventure without much handholding.
    They're looking to modernize the interface and controls, but I think they want to keep the rest of the design pretty much identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    Outcast is one of the best games I've ever played. If they can ramp the combat difficulty and enemy AI up a touch and make shooting in first person work, I'm all in.
    I don't know about first-person, but they did say they want to add a hard mode with smarter enemies.

This thing's out. Anyone try it? The reviews are mostly bad but they seem to be from people with no experience with the original. People are understandably going to be harsher today on clunky controls than in '99 but I can deal with that if the spirit of the original is intact.

10. I ordered this on Black Friday, but it hasn't come in yet. I'll post some impressions, once I play it.