Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 27373940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing (Autumn, 2017)?

1. Playing lots of Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, which is way more than it deserves. Hell, playing it at all give it too much attention.

But I have the best camp. THE BEST.

Also bren playing Skyrim on my Switch on the train, too. I might get more than 5 hours into it this time, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Shiren is on my list and I heard good things about it.
    I was just about to offer my Shiren for DS, as well as Etrian Mystery Dungeon for 3DS, up for sale

Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    Roguelikes are generally bad. Just bad.

Shiren is cute though
    The shitload of Angband I've played at work and while snowed in at my gf's this week begs to differ. But there are a lot of bad ones out there. I can't really get into Nethack, though I plan to try Rogue at some point. I absolutely love Angband, and I think Tales of Maj'Eyal is also excellent but wish it had an ascii mode.

Shiren is cool, and I used to love it, but the ui feels cumbersome after hours of Angband (even on a phone), and even the graphics seem to interfere. The lack of variety in enemy sprites don't help. I think the only one of these I could really still dig on is Torneko. I've been wanting to give Fatal Labyrinth another shot now that I understand what it is.
    Last edited by Vasteel; 21 Jan 2018 at 12:42 AM.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

3. I'm sure Rogue was okay. But I dislike the mechanic of randomized level generation taking the place of actual, play-tested, intelligently designed levels. Too many games today use it as a crutch.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

4. I dig the luck component procedural generation affords. But I get why some people don't.

5. In general, with both action game "roguelikes" and actual ones (the turn-based dungeon-crawling ones), the stage layouts should just be a way to shuffle together an interesting and very hand-made set of items, enemies, and player actions. Usually which things appear on which floors at which frequencies is very manually-tweaked. I've been playing Enter the Gungeon lately and it's good at this. Shiren's good at this.

No amount of randomization is gonna prevent the need for a ton of intelligent manual design. Hopefully No Man's Sky opened a lot of eyes to this, lol.
    Last edited by Tain; 21 Jan 2018 at 04:23 PM.

6. Has anyone here tried Cryptark? It's been on Steam for some time and came out on PSN recently.

I've never played it but it looks like Exhibit A for this kind of thing.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

7. @#$%

i got to the Ghost Ship boss in Seiken Densetsu III but the game keeps locking up on me - playing on an SD2SNES, pretty sure the ROM i got was legit at the time but feeling less so now. any way to salvage my game save & try another one? ive even got a repro cart of this translation from years back but really dont wanna start over
    http://backloggery.com/irishninja/sig.gif

My girlfriend gave me a Kindle for Christmas, so last week I messed around and got it running DOSBox. As a result I've been playing Eye of the Beholder. I've never cared for this type of dungeon crawl game where actions are performed in real time. But running on a touch screen as opposed to a mouse is a perfect fit for it and it runs flawlessly as near as I can tell.

I was aware of this game back in the day, and these Dungeon Master type games seemed pretty popular at the time. I can't figure out why this sort of real-time game did so well then though, lacking the depth in combat and strategy of their turn-based counterparts (although it does do an astounding job of fidelity to AD&D rules given it's simplistic design) while not being twitchy enough with cooldowns, etc, to be action games. I imagine there was novelty in just being something new and there is something compelling and tense about it I can't quite single out. It also does seem like a turning point in graphics and sound for rpgs, especially for PC owners at the time. I've also been lead to believe that later entries in the series, and stuff like Menzoberranzan and the Ravenloft games have far greater depth and sophistication.
    Last edited by Vasteel; 23 Jan 2018 at 02:19 AM.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

9. Picked up Warframe again.

I can't quite quit this game, even though many of the missions look the same and the grind is so incredibly slow and I have yet to encounter any exceptional boss fights. The jump/melee/shooting mechanics are so satisfying to execute that they keep me coming back. The difficulty curve is a bit slow, but once things pick up it can get pretty interesting.

10. Narc (AC) - Full default settings with extra lives every 100,000. Just missed getting a 1-credit clear- reached final boss then died with 2.16M. Another life or two left would've likely been enough.