Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: This Month's Haul 2017: Scary game month edition.

1. I need to find Frankenberry.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. I finally saved up enough to get my new 27" 1440p monitor for the PC. It's a Dell 144hz Gsync display..

I was planning on ponying up $500 for the display this Friday, that is until they posted an open box unit for $425. The display looks like it was never opened and was just a return.

I guess Nvidia gave me a free copy of Shadow of Mordor, with the purchase of a Gsync monitor. I was messing around in the Nvidia control panel and I got a notice for a free copy of the game on Steam.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gamevet; 07 Oct 2017 at 03:33 PM.

3. A cheap replacement CDX AC adapter.

4. Click for full size

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Super Season 1 and Vol. 1 of the manga.

5. I've become friendly with a regular customer who works at a recycling facility. I mentioned wanting some CRTs so I can display older systems without them looking like ass or controlling as such due to lag. He said they go through dozens of them a week. I asked that he keep me in mind if any 19-27" decent models roll through with s-video at least, component would be best.
    He messaged me earlier that he got a couple 20" Sony Wegas (kv-20fs120 and kv-20fv300 in anyone cares). They aren't top of the line, HD ready, or anything but they'll do for now! I'm particularly excited to see how the letterboxed Laserdiscs will look on the fv300 using its enhanced 16x9 mode.

So now I've ordered this Scart to Component adapter, this this audio extractor, and a bunch of Scart cables for less than what a couple of those fancy component cables go for.

I think that's the 20" version of the 27 that I have. It's a really awesome SD set, I don't miss my pvm at all.

You might need to open that adapter up and tweak it a bit. There are several pots and sometimes some fiddling is in order if you care about such things.

7. Yeah, I read that in the reviews.

It's not really cool in the collector community, but I really prefer late model consumer TVs to pvms. You don't get the OMGRGB nerd factor, but component video is close enough. Geometry on pvms tends to be an issue since few people ever set theirs up correctly, and the consumer sets have some processing on the composite inputs that will make them look nice. Try your LD player on it.

Let the YouTube nerds enjoy their 13" pvms with bad geometry and burn in but OMGRGB! I'll be chilling with my $12 Wega.

9. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    It's not really cool in the collector community, but I really prefer late model consumer TVs to pvms. You don't get the OMGRGB nerd factor, but component video is close enough. Geometry on pvms tends to be an issue since few people ever set theirs up correctly, and the consumer sets have some processing on the composite inputs that will make them look nice. Try your LD player on it.

Let the YouTube nerds enjoy their 13" pvms with bad geometry and burn in but OMGRGB! I'll be chilling with my $12 Wega.
    I think I mentioned picking up a 27" Toshiba on the side of the road. It has component so it is circa 2002 or so. Just hooked up CDX with the HDRetrovision cables and it looks fantastic. Sure, it is no PVM/BVM but at what cost? I looked at getting a 20" PVM but they are ridiculously priced now (unless you can find a studio clearing them out).

10. It wasn't long ago I was all BAH HUMBUG to videophile nerds modding their systems and shit for Teh Bestest Grphx.
    Part of my enjoyment of playing old games was playing them the way I played them when they were current so the presentation would be the same. My bedroom tv when I was a kid only had Rf, and that was how I played my Master System. So RF or composite was fine. Plus, I think a bunch of systems look shitty in RGB- Genesis and Saturn in particular.

But now I guess I'm caught up in the nerdom and since I can do it this way without blowing hundreds of dollars on upscalers and Monster cables, why not?