Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loot Box Gate

1. Digital is a natural progression to cut out the middle man and it is a big convenience factor so it is a win-win for both publishers/consumers. The loot box though is not so clear cut, really depends on how it is implemented.

2. Loot Box Gate

Loot boxes in single player games are stupid and can go DIAF.

In multiplayer games they're fine for delivering fun inconsequential stuff like player skins and gun camos and whatnot. When done well, it's an OK way to deliver new customizable content that doesn't require you to spend any money. Overwatch is the best example I know of. I'm sure HotS and other MOBAs do similar stuff.

Even Destiny 2 isn't that bad, with its shader controversy. There's like a bajillion different shaders and even if you run out of one, chances are you'll already have a nearly identical one you'll have already earned for free lying around.
    Last edited by sleeve; 11 Oct 2017 at 09:47 PM.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

3. Sure, it’s not all whining for the sake of whining, but the vast majority of it is first world problem shit. And yes, it does depend on the game or how a said game implements it, but I personally don’t think a $60 game having some sort of loot box or other micro transaction system is the main problem. These are businesses, and their main goal to make money. As SSJN said, game prices have not gone up with inflation, and they certainly aren’t getting cheaper to make and market. As long as you aren’t being forced to spend the extra money in a AAA game, I don’t see an issue with it and will not spend money on it. If nobody is spending money on these types of micro transactions then maybe they won’t put them in the game. Now if a AAA game does force you to pay extra to play the game the way it should be from the get go, then by all means, complain and don’t buy the game.

4. Games have had random drops for a long time. I don't particularly like the idea of them, but I don't mind them.
    In theory, I get into specific games and I would be fine with paying additional money to play them or to enhance the experience, like how DLC already provides with new content or character customizations. In general, though, I don't want to play games that require real money for random drops.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

I don't really care so long as the game is fun enough to "do things the hard way" or the loot in question is ignorable.

6. Battlefront II is lame as shit with those lootboxes. I refuse to buy any single game where it tries to pull this kind of shit.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

7. Sadly the future of games is bullshit

8. Thanks obummer

It has always felt like shit, while getting better. Shit/better paradox.