Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loot Box Gate

1. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    I thought this was initially about those loot crate things, do they still exist
    Same here.

I was watching unrelated Digital Foundry videos and this came up in the sidebar.

Explains what the issues are, has some good takes on it.

2. I do think that loot box systems can be taken too far and done horribly wrong, however I think there are gamers/reviewers out there that are getting way too upset with even just the inclusion of the system in a game.

3. Quote Originally Posted by ElCapichan View Post
    If you aren't being required to buy them, then who gives a shit?
    I think the reason it's become a scandal this season is because a few companies have been taking away features in previous entries and gating them behind loot boxes that render that formerly standard functionality pretty much non-functional. NBA 2K18 and Destiny 2 in particular we're guilty of ruining player customization features this way.

When it's just extra, or when it does stuff that players aren't used to having anyway then it's not as objectionable

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I think the reason it's become a scandal this season is because a few companies have been taking away features in previous entries and gating them behind loot boxes that render that formerly standard functionality pretty much non-functional. NBA 2K18 and Destiny 2 in particular we're guilty of ruining player customization features this way.
    That's why I get annoyed with people dismissing complaints as "whining". You give these companies an inch, they will take a mile. Microsoft had the nerve to charge for playing console games online, people bought that shit up, and now Sony does it (with Nintendo to follow). Microsoft tried to cut out used games this gen and it backfired because of consumer backlash.

5. I think the only game I've played with loot boxes is Let It Die, which (while I loved it) is almost entirely built on bullshit and grinding. I didn't mind them there, but if that stuff was in a BIG MONEY $60 HOLLA game I'd be upset.

6. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Microsoft had the nerve to charge for playing console games online, people bought that shit up.
    And because they charged for it, they were able to offer a service that blew the competing console's free online service out of the water for 2 1/2 generations straight. I don't have an issue with companies charging extra for new features that cost the money to implement.

a Microsoft tried to cut out used games this gen and it backfired because of consumer backlash.
    And yet digital downloads are growing year on year. Consumers backlashed against something they didn't know they wanted yet.

7. On the one hand, loot boxes are garbage. On the other, not a single game I'm interested in playing has had them in there yet. I'm still kind of impressed that gaming came up with something even stupider than paying for virtual in-game currency, though. At least with that you could then spend it on the specific thing you wanted, rather than a chance to maybe/possibly (but probably not) get the thing you want.

I'm not sure "because they charged for it" was the reason it was better given how online gaming functions fine on PC.

And I doubt most of the complainers are digital-only consumers but there's probably no way to get the numbers to see. Either way, costumer backlash on the internet did manage to steer the course for Xbox this gen.

9. I was a complainer! Still am! But I have a vested interest in physical games sticking around.
    I just find it interesting that people were so up in arms about physical games being taken away from them, and three years later digital sales are destroying physical sales.
    Maybe those people were yet another vocal minority?

10. "Don't change anything ever!" is always vocal, and always a minority. I vastly prefer to buy my games in a physical format on console but that doesn't mean I'm not part of a minority.