Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do I possibly have disc rot, or a dying CD drive lens?

1. What lube did you use? I should do mine too. This post need to be put in context.

2. I've always used a lithium or molybdenum based grease for optical drives.

3. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I've always used a lithium or molybdenum based grease for optical drives.
    Yep!

I sprayed some White Lithium Grease on a rag and applied it to the lens rails.

I usually get tubes of lithium grease from the auto parts store. It's a lot cheaper than electronics places for the same stuff. Electrical contact cleaner is a lot cheaper there too.

5. My model 2 Sega CD stopped reading several discs, and I'm pretty sure it's the lens. Any of you guys have experience fixing them? I want to play Snatcher again!

6. I would crack it open and grease the rails. I'd thought that my Saturn's laser diode was dying, until I greased the rails holding the sled.

7. Things are getting pretty hot and heavy in here.

8. So I finally have some time to work on my hobo PS2. Found a decent YT video and cleaned the lense, adjusted laser, and now PS2 games work very well for the most part. However, PS1 games are no go. PS2 CD games do work though (Blue disc) so I don't know what the deal is.

Now I need to clean the laser for the original PS1. But that laser motor might be completely busted.

9. I should look into that, too.
    I have two PS1 units and both have sketchy lasers. One is modded, so I would imagine it's gotten worked to death.

10. My launch PS1's laser motor is dead. The assembly is not available online (KSM-440AAM), but I think I can repurpose a PSOne assembly by replacing the cover plate thing. I will try that before I buy a replacement laser assembly on ebay, since getting a working laser is 50/50 at best.