Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do I possibly have disc rot, or a dying CD drive lens?

1. I just clean discs with soapy water and the tip of my finger, and I dry them by shaking off the excess water and wiping them down with kimwipes.
    It never caused any noticeable scratches.

SSJN is right about Chinese lasers, I had to buy three Duo lasers before I got one that worked. But for $20 a pop I can deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much. Let us all not forget the "wonders" we grew up around.

I remember kids that couldn't wipe their asses right all the way up to the 3rd grade. This child is a genius in comparison.
    No worries here, just a feeling old moment. I think Generation Z (or whatever name they will get) is more advanced for their age than Generation X was.

I think our perception is so much different than then, it is hard to say. There are what, millions on youtube now? Who is to say that there are just as many advanced children as before, but with the power of the internet we are able to look at more of them at one time?

5. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I'm thinking about picking up a cheap copy of Vampire Savior
    Do so. Now.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. Not on Saturn, though. Get the new port.

7. Vampire Chronicle for Matching Service would be my pick.

8. It's averaging about $50 on ebay. I might check out that option, but I'm pretty sure that I can get a Japanese Saturn for the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I just clean discs with soapy water and the tip of my finger, and I dry them by shaking off the excess water and wiping them down with kimwipes.
    It never caused any noticeable scratches.
    I don't think that using water is a good idea. If the varnish layer has any spot of weakness, you could end up with moisture getting to the metal layer. I'd much rather use a cleaning fluid meant for cleaning CDs, along with a microfiber cloth.
    Last edited by gamevet; 17 Oct 2017 at 11:00 AM.

9. Xbox

I messed around with the laser pot last week, but I didn't want to push it too far. I could get about 90% of the titles to load, but some would take 2 or 3 tries. I decided to find a working Model 1 Saturn and went with a North American model, since 95% of my library is NA games.

I got this decent looking Model 1 Saturn from a (Ebay) Game Store in Yakima Washington. It has a few cosmetic scratches and dings, but it looked a lot better than most of the Model 2 units that were up for sale.

I put my old faithful launch North American Saturn back into its box. You had a good run buddy!

The cartridge port in this unit is much tighter than the one in my launch Saturn. I had used the original PAR in my launch console, which I would never recommend a Saturn owner to use, and it has always had cartridge seating issues because of that. I hooked up the new (used) Saturn, plugged in the PAR 4M+1, and dropped in Vampire Savior. It's alive! It's ALIVE!

Attached Images Attached Images

10. Someone suggested to me that the CD drive in my Saturn may have just needed lubrication.

I pulled it back out of the box and cracked it open. I lubricated the rails on the drive, and sure enough, it's working again.