View Poll Results: Should games force you to be good to complete?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • no

11 47.83%
  • yes

9 39.13%
  • I'm a fence riding p*ssy

3 13.04%
Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Should games be easier?

1. Should games be easier?

So with every popular new thing, there is always a backlash for some reason or another. I saw this article talking about the difficulty in Cuphead and wanted to see what you old farts had to say.
    https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...ud-mental.html

I think off the bat, using -ist terms like ableist are too loaded and will put your audience on the defensive, but I think there is merit with a lot of games to provide some way to get through the game easier. When I was a kid, even the hard games like Contra had the extra lives code. If I play old games now in emulation, having the option to rewind is super valuable when I just want to see the content. What are your thoughts of gating off content due to skill vs allowing access by cheating or difficulty adjustments?
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

Most games are too easy, please let me have my occasionally difficult game.

The best option is probably adjustable difficulty levels like most games have, but the problem is usually that the game design is balanced around a very easy "Normal" level, with hard mode basically being "fuck you" and ridiculous.

3. Completing games is a human right.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. All Cuphead needed was for simple mode to be just like regular mode except...easier. Instead it's just about useless in every way.
    Games can be as hard as they want. It's usually padded out length (and thus loss of interest) that keeps me from beating them, not difficulty.

5. Also: Your thread title should be equitable with your poll question. My answer to the thread is No, so if I'm Melfing I'd just click No on the poll- which is the opposite of what I'd intend my answer to be.

I played those Batmans games on easy because Batman should be able to wreck any street level jabroni from the get go.

7. Whoops, I switched the language around for the poll. I don't see a way to edit either, sorry.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    It's usually padded out length (and thus loss of interest) that keeps me from beating them, not difficulty.
    That and your padded fingers have trouble mashing the buttons.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

9. Yeah, I clicked on, "No" without really reading the poll.

There's nothing wrong with a game requiring you to have a pulse..
    Last edited by Xero_Kaiser; 26 Oct 2017 at 06:04 PM.

10. I can definitely see the argument and in the case of something like cuphead there's no reason to not have simplified mode be like SSJN said. On the flip side some other difficult games are harder to see how you could make them easier. Soulsborne games for example or as in the example something like PUBG.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.