Thread: Nintendo Wii Shop will close in Jan'19

1. Nintendo Wii Nintendo Wii Shop will close in Jan'19

Nintendo has announced that the Wii Shop will be gone at the end of January 2019. Besides expiration of licenses on some games (After Burner Climax on 360/PS3 to name one) this is one thing that sucks about digital purchases on consoles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Friends at Nintendo
    Dear Nintendo fans,

On January 30, 2019, we plan to close the Wii Shop Channel, which has been available on Wii systems since December 2006. We sincerely thank our loyal customers for their support.

You can still add Wii Points until March 26, 2018, and purchase content on the Wii Shop Channel until January 30, 2019. In the future, we will be closing all services related to the Wii Shop Channel, including redownloading purchased WiiWare, Virtual Console titles, and Wii Channel, as well as Wii System Transfer Tool, which transfers data from Wii to the Wii U system.

If you have Wii Points to spend, content you want to re-download, or content you’d like to transfer from a Wii system to a Wii U system, we recommend you do so while the services are still available.

If you have any questions, please see our Q&A.

Thank you for supporting the Wii Shop Channel and for being such great fans of Nintendo.

Sincerely,

Your Friends at Nintendo

2. The Wii is well emulated so I'll let it go without too much worry. Other consoles with less advanced preservation methods, on the other hand, are a real issue. It's why I've been backing small-press publishers so strongly the last few years. Tomena Sanner on disk? I'd have bought that.