Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Engine CD - Best Games

PC Engine CD - Best Games

Seems like a lot of people are revisiting this system right now, given the new hardware that is out and the games hitting virutal consoles / psn, etc.

Anyway, what are the best games for this thing?

Obvious shit

2. Looking back on my PCE favs, they're almost all Hu-cards.

There are some nice shooters like Macross and Gates/Lords of Thunder...but are they really better than the TG16 port of R-Type, Side Arms, Blazing Lasers, or the Soldier games? Are they even close?

Same with Exile. Neat games! But they ain't Legendary Axe, New Adventure Island, or Ninja Spirit.

Military Madness > Vasteel

I will concede Dungeon Explorer II PC-CD is better than both PCE Dungeon Explorer and SCD Dungeon Explorer. So I guess that's my pick.

3. Super Air Zonk: Rockabilly Paradise is fun.

(the only game I'd really go out of my way for on PCE-anything is DRACULA X, but they had a ton of games that really nail that perfect 80s Anime Aesthetic)
    Last edited by YellerDog; 02 Nov 2018 at 08:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. The prototype of Space Fantasy Zone looks cool.

I'm impressed that you put up Sapphire instead of Lords of Thunder.

In addition to the obvious, I'll add Monster Lair and Double Dragon II to the list.

6. Neo Nectaris is one of my favorites.

7. Great game! geometry dash 3d game

8. I'll throw in Seirei Senshi Spriggan. During development it was called Seirei Senshi Aleste, which would've fit quite well. I think it's easily right up there with the Star Soldier games. The art style is more than a little like Raizing's later arcade release Mahou Daisakusen/Sorcer Striker, which isn't bad at all.

9. Star Parodier is cool, sort of a vertical scrolling Bomberman Parodius. You fly around in a Giant PC Engine, a Giant Bomberman, or a Giant Star Soldier ship, piloted by Bombermans.

Your PC Engine dude gets the CD expansion upgrade as a powerup.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	INTRO-Star_Parodier_06.gif 
Views:	231 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	81440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	INTRO-Star_Parodier_07.gif 
Views:	585 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	81439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	INTRO-Star_Parodier_05.gif 
Views:	231 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	81441  
    Last edited by YellerDog; 02 Nov 2018 at 11:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Yes, these are all great! Double Dragon 2 doesn't get enough praise. It's a mix of the arcade game and the NES port that has awesome cutscenes.

Looking over my shelf there's also Gradius 2, Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (River City Ransom, now with voice acting,) R-Type Complete CD for the full game plus anime cutscenes, and Ys 4 that has a full translation patch with voice acting.

There's a ton more Japan stuff like Blood Gear, but it's not all easily accessible without knowing the language.