Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: SoulCalibur VI (PS4/XB1/Steam)

1. SoulCalibur VI (PS4/XB1/Steam)

Namco is bringing SoulCalibur VI to PS4, XB1, & Steam with a TBA 2018 release date.
    Like Tekken 7, it's on Unreal Engine 4. One new gameplay feature is Reversal Edge which lets you "defend against the opponent's attack and directly counter with a powerful strike highlighted through a dynamic camera".
    Looks good so far. I wouldn't mind a SamSho character or two being brought in by DLC, after Geese's appearance in T7.

What do you think?

2. It's probably going to be a mess but I'm sure I'll love it anyway.

3. My first impressions are that it looks no better than the last two games, and the new mechanics only slow down the pace of the game.
    Hopefully it ends up being great, but I expect the same fuckery the series is known for - console exclusive guest characters, weird DLC, and increasingly dumbed down parrying.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    My first impressions are that it looks no better than the last two games, and the new mechanics only slow down the pace of the game.
    Hopefully it ends up being great, but I expect the same fuckery the series is known for - console exclusive guest characters, weird DLC, and increasingly dumbed down parrying.
    Agreed. Although just to be clear "looks no better than the last two games" isn't a bad thing because the series has always looked great (imo) and the palette is very colorful and fun, but there was nothing at all surprising or OooooOOoooOOoooooo about it.

5. I've been playing SCII on my XB1 lately and it looks basically the same.
    I'm glad that they're going back to the old roster, since the character design has gotten goofier with each game, and I hope they bring back Li Long.
    There were rumours about the return of SoulBlade's weapon breaking mechanic, where you had to finish the round unarmed, but it was supposedly scrapped.

6. It's encouraging to know that the developers are going for something that feels more like SCII.

7. It's encouraging to know that Sophitia is still just letting them hang out there.

The only issue real issue I had with SC4 was the so-so netcode and for SC5 the super moves and the so-so netcode. The SC can be a real joy if they don't glam it up too much. I don't remember which SC had the mode where you earn special armor and passive abilities and go some tower fighting oddball enemies, I'd be up for something like that more fleshed out. The SC story modes are always utter nonsense.

8. I think that was III.
    I barely played that one since it was PS2 exclusive, but I remember the randomly generated characters being pretty entertaining.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I've been playing SCII on my XB1 lately and it looks basically the same.
    I'm glad that they're going back to the old roster, since the character design has gotten goofier with each game, and I hope they bring back Li Long.
    There were rumours about the return of SoulBlade's weapon breaking mechanic, where you had to finish the round unarmed, but it was supposedly scrapped.
    The weapon breaking system needs to stay gone unless it's optional. I don't care for it. Guard crush is a better way to deter over-defensiveness.
    I had skipped the last 3 SoulCaliburs and it seems I didn't miss much, but I'll get this.