Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving the Pacific Coast Highway

1. Driving the Pacific Coast Highway

There's been a somewhat high number of travel threads lately, so I thought I'd add mine to the mix.

So me and a buddy are going to drive the Pacific Coast Highway this summer. He's taking a little over a month off work to do it, and while I don't have that liberty, I'll be taking off 2.5 ish or maybe 3 weeks to do it. I've always wanted to do this, and I was planning on doing it with my GF, but after we fell apart, that didn't happen. So rather than do it alone I asked my buddy.

Basically, I'm going to fly into Phoenix from Chicago and have my buddy pick me up (he's going to leave a week ahead of me from Chicago and drive down to Phoenix). Then we are going to go north to Flagstaff and see the Grand Canyon. Then west over Lake Mead and into Las Vegas. Stay there a day or so. Then drive southwest to Los Angeles. Then from Los Angeles take the PCH north all the way through California. I would also like to see Glacier National Park and Yellowstone, but I don't know if time will permit that.

Now, I've never been out west of the Mississippi, so I have no idea what California is like. But I'm excited to see it.

My question to TNL is this: what should I see in California? Has anyone done something similar to this? What did you see? What's there to see along the PCH? Anything off that beaten path that shouldn't be missed?

I want to stay away from really super touristy stuff like Disney-ish or Busch Gardens-y stuff. But something like a tour of Alcatraz would be cool, even if it is a little touristy.

Also, we're going to try out www.couchsurfing.com for a few nights/days and see how that goes. Seems like a very cool way to travel (until I get raped by a stranger). Oh well, pay a hotel...get raped by a stranger...you come out pretty even either way I guess.
    Last edited by Seik; 19 Dec 2008 at 12:48 PM.
    -Mullet Jockey-
    Check out my site!
    Eat. Sleep. Music.

2. For god's sake go to the fucking REDWOODS

PS: If you make it to Oregon, Crater Lake is completely insane. Your mind will be blown.
    Last edited by PaCrappa; 19 Dec 2008 at 12:53 PM.

3. The coolest thing I've seen on the Pacific Coast Highway was a Ferrari Enzo that was sliced in half. Maybe if you're lucky, Seik, you can catch another rich idiot wreck a quarter million dollar car.
    Last edited by Nash; 19 Dec 2008 at 01:04 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by PaCrappa View Post
    For god's sake go to the fucking REDWOODS

PS: If you make it to Oregon, Crater Lake is completely insane. Your mind will be blown.
    Redwoods. Yes. I planned on checking them out. That's where the Endor scene in Return of The Jedi was filmed...do they do re-enactments of that there?

Crater Lake I never heard of. But I plan on making it to Oregon so I definitely will check it out. I'm going to google it now just to see what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    The coolest thing I've seen on the Pacific Coast Highway was a Ferrari Enzo that was sliced in half. Maybe if you're lucky, Seik, you can catch another rich idiot wreck a quarter million dollar car.
    I love seeing idiots do what they can't help - be an idiot. And that goes doubly for rich idiots because their fuck ups are usually on a level I'll never achieve. That sounds awesome Nash, hopefully I can top that story. Although I suspect the only way I could, is if I saw John Travolta dangling precariously from his plane - which he just flew into the side of the cliff.
    -Mullet Jockey-
    Check out my site!
    Eat. Sleep. Music.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Seik View Post
    I plan on making it to Oregon
    I also like the Heceta Head lighthouse and especially the Devil's Punchbowl. Huge massive fucking beaches and when I go there (not summer) they're so wide open and perfect for three off leash pitbulls. And of course if you go all the way north you'll come to Astoria where the Goonies was filmed. I hear they reenact the whole thing whenever guys from Chicago show up.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    The coolest thing I've seen on the Pacific Coast Highway was a Ferrari Enzo that was sliced in half. Maybe if you're lucky, Seik, you can catch another rich idiot wreck a quarter million dollar car.
    You know about this right?

Guy was an embezzler and con artist who was partially responsible for the abortive Gizmondo. The car itself was illegally imported.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Eriksson

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/18/d...izmondo-crash/

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/06/p...ndo-enzo-tee/2
    2 GET GUD @ OVERWATCH + SWIGGITYSIX#1322

7. You'll have a good time. I haven't done PCH the whole way up, but I've been on parts of it here and there.

There are a lot of great beaches in Malibu. Point Dume for scenery, Zuma beach for the hot ladies, and other assorted places. Paradise cove is pretty. You can grab a beer at the restaurant there but it's kind of a tourist trap.

Santa Barbara is really pretty too. One of the cool things there is a monarch butterfly spawning ground. You walk into the woods and there are swarms of butterflys in this tree canopy. The downtown is filled with nice restaurants. If you spend the night near there go to Elsie's, which is a kick ass and very chill bar. If you want more SB info I can ask my gf, she is a UCSB alum.

Solvang is north of Santa Barbara. It's set up like an old dutch town. It's mostly for old people. They have wine tastings and stuff. Lots of antiques. It's kind of fun though. http://www.solvangusa.com/

Morro Bay is a small tourist town on a bay. I've never been, but my sister goes and stays there for vacation some times. She's old, it sounds boring, and they brought me back a crappy bottle of wine but the pictures are pretty. Probably not a place you'd want to stay a night though.

Hearst Castle is along the PCH somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I've always wanted to go but haven't made it yet. You should check it out and see if you want to fit it into your plans. You may need reservations. http://www.hearstcastle.org/

Then up towards SF you pass Monterey. They have a nice aquarium. The Laguna Seca race track is around there. Check the schedule to see what events are going on when you're here.

On the other side of Monterey bay is Santa Cruz. It's a college town. They have a beach with a boardwalk but it's pretty crappy. Right next to Santa Cruz is Capolito. It's a small beach town. I spent a fun day there once but there's nothing too exciting.

Along this stretch there are a bunch of nature reserves. There's one I've been to called ano nuevo. The sealions come here to have their pups. Check if they will be there http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=523

As you get towards SF just above Half Moon Bay there was a rock slide that shut down the 1. I haven't been up there in a year or so though so check if they've reopened it. You may have to go inland and take a different road up to SF.

SF is huge and cool. Others will know better than me what you should do there.

If you want to see Redwoods I recommend Muir Woods. It's really pretty, and it's just on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge. There are probably bigger redwoods further up the coast but I really love this spot.

I did one road trip from SF north to the Russian River. Then there is a road that follows that inland to a few town with Guernville at the end. I did this not knowing that this was an extremely gay area, and that is by CA standards, so you know it's really gay. It didn't take too long to figure out with the all the guys walking around in obscenely tight short shorts. If you don't mind that though it's really fun and pretty. http://www.guerneville-online.com/area.htm

I drove about 5 to 10 miles north past the Russian River on the PCH and it is awesome. It's much prettier than the areas below, but DO NOT drive this section at night. The road is tight and you are literally on a cliff above the ocean. It's is all you can see out that side of your car and it's scary.

Make sure you're driving something fun for the trip. Upgrading the rental is probably money well spent.

There are tons of California travel books. I bet you can find one devoted to road tripping the PCH.

I think I drove the whole thing? I don't really remember anymore.

Anyway, Oregon is the best part. And then you can fuck up and end up on some logging trail like I did!

9. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post

Morro Bay is a small tourist town on a bay. I've never been, but my sister goes and stays there for vacation some times. She's old, it sounds boring, and they brought me back a crappy bottle of wine but the pictures are pretty. Probably not a place you'd want to stay a night though.

wrong. morro bay is beautiful, go to Montana de Oro state park and camp out. surf. look out for sharks. go to the greatest bar of all time: The Merrimaker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dive_bar)

hearst castle is just north of morro bay, very close in the grand scheme of things. then just above that is Big Sur, which is also a beautiful wilderness/beach camp area.

youll have to stay a night in san luis obispo, too, which is just south of morro bay, same county though, but i could talk for days on how much i love that town, pm me for the hot spots. have fun!! im jealous of your trip.

edit: the wine from the central coast is also kick ass, you have to pick the right ones though, if youre interested i can let you know what wineries are good to taste at.
    Wear more flannel.

10. I want to know the hot spots in san luis obispo!