Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2018: Lock & Load Then Rock & Roll

1. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    1.) South Park Stick of Truth

I noticed the voucher that came with FBW was due to expire 1/31, so I redeemed it on the 30th. I had no intention of actually playing it since it wasn't that long ago that I beat it. But I started playing a little bit the other day, and then beat it yesterday. I'm kinda shocked how quickly it went by this time. I still missed the same chinpokomon that I missed the last time, so it must be pretty well hidden.
    While it didn't pack the same punch as the first time I played it, I didn't expect it to. You can't be surprised/grossed out by shit you know is coming. However, I still found myself chuckling at a bunch of the one liners/ inside jokes.
    I played as a Jew this time, and became fairly overpowered half way through. The plague magic makes quick work of just about everything.
    Now I'm watching the recommended episodes so I can begin FBW. Woo~
    Good man! It was a fun 25-30 hours to collect everything and despite the (very) familiar setting it felt fresh for a good chunk.

2. I really enjoyed Stick of Truth, and I felt like it matched the visuals, writing and pretty much everything about the show perfectly. I really need to start FBW soon.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. 06) Street Fighter II CE (AC)
    1CC, 668400 pts. using Ken. CPU Guile is easy if you bait him with a Jab Shoryuken at the right distance. He should try a flash kick & miss, which leaves him open to a standing roundhouse.

4. 2. Mutant Football League (PC)
    Took the Blitzburg Steelheads to the Mayhem Bowl and crushed the Nuked London Hatriots. This game is pretty much NFL Blitz with gore and traps on the field. I enjoyed winning a few games by forfeit as I killed too many people on the opposing team for them to continue. The game's randomness can be infuriating at times. There was one drive where I scored a TD, had it called back by a ridiculous planned penalty, scored on the next play, similar planned penalty, and this happened 4 times in a row in total until I bribed the refs to stop fucking with me. There are a few achievements left for killing 1000 guys and unlocking teams by winning X amounts of games so I'll be going back for those, but it's still a lot of fun to play. Have not tried the MP yet, but a buddy picked it up and I hope to try that out sometime. Definitely a fine $20 game.

5. 5. Life is Strange

Pretty good aside from some questionable dialog here and there. Kinda like some other... VNs(?) that I've liked, it really leans into the whole quicksave quickload thing.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    5. Life is Strange

Pretty good aside from some questionable dialog here and there. Kinda like some other... VNs(?) that I've liked, it really leans into the whole quicksave quickload thing.
    I thought it didn't get really good until episode 4. That's when real puzzle solving and investigation started and the story takes off.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    4. Celeste

Celeste fits into the same subgenre as Super Meat Boy. It's a ton of really tough micro platforming challenges, so it doesn't really start building tension until the challenges get a little longer late in the game. I'm still not a fan of that, just like I wasn't with Super Meat Boy, but unlike in that game everything else in Celeste helps elevate it into something really, really good. You get a bit more complexity in the core mechanics thanks to wall-climbing with stamina and a single 8-way air dash per jump. The camera is a little bit more zoomed in compared to Meat Boy, with less sloppy acceleration time and slightly more claustrophobic stage design to match. The visuals are the usual unrealistically low-res pixel art (with some modern lighting effects thrown in), but the animation is nice, the environments are well-composed, and there's a lot of visual variety. Every new area introduces and thoroughly explores new mechanics, and you'll see notably more dynamic elements to the stages than those in Super Meat Boy. Tying the brutal stages together is a surprisingly well-written narrative that fits the rest of the experience perfectly and in a novel way.

Looking forward to the post-game stuff.
    I adore Super Meat Boy, so I'm quite looking forward to this. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

8. last weekend, i finished Dragon Force and KanyeQuest 3030, the latter apparently being an unused AR cult recruitment tool. neat!
    http://backloggery.com/irishninja/sig.gif

9. 1.) Star Fox Adventures

Tedium:
    noun
    the quality or state of being wearisome; irksomeness; tediousness.

That's my one word review. Here's the many word one.

1. You gather a few doohickeys. These doohickeys have abilities that require you to collect thingmahjigs in order to power them. However, wherever you'd need to use an ability, there are plenty of thingmahjigs right next to it. So you use your doohickey and run out of thingmahjigs. You walk over to the thingmahjigs, pick them up, then walk back over to continue doohicking. What's the point of requiring you to refuel if fuel is strewn all over the place? Nothing is added to the game play except tedium.

2. You're mostly in an open world with sections of it closed off until you earn the right ability. Traversal from the hub to new areas is accomplished by mild platforming and puzzle solving because even the the entrance to the new area is 10 feet away, you have to go round about to get to the other side. In most games, once this is accomplished a straight forward path will open up once you've reached the other side. Not in this game, oh no. Every time you go back to an area (and you're constantly going back to areas) you need to take the long way around. Even better, areas are on the other side of areas. In most games, once you've reached a distant area some sort of fast travel option opens up. Not in this game, oh no. Every time you go back to an area (and you're constantly going back to areas) you need to run the entire distance. 4-5 minutes spent running through the same scenery, solving the same basic environmental puzzles, just to get to where you've already been. So you're there,and you've accomplished whatever task you had to do. Now what? In most games, once you've cleared the temple or whatever you're beamed back to your starting hub. Not in this game, oh no. You get to hoof it all the way back. This is a game that features space ships and teleportation, but no fast travel. What is the point of requiring you to do all this constant running through the same areas? Nothing is added to the game play except tedium.

3. Time based puzzles that if failed don't just make you lose a life or whatever and start the puzzle over. No, you're sent back to the beginning of area you just platformed/puzzle solved your way through. You get to do it all over again, just to reach the puzzle that maybe you understand a bit better, but will take you at least another try in order to fully understand and solve. But hey, at least you didn't lose a life right? You've only reached the max amount of 10 extra lives and have left plenty of icons laying around the planet because you're capped at carrying 10 and next to nothing kills you in this game. What is the point of kicking you back to the beginning of the puzzle's are? Nothing is added to the game play except tedium.

4. The controls really suck. Let's make a platformer with auto jumping except sometimes when you reach the edge instead of auto jumping like it should you'll just fall off the edge. Let's make the A button context sensitive except sometimes when the icon says "pick up" you'll swing your staff instead, thus setting off that explosive barrel you're trying to pick up and giving you damage. Let's have a camera you can only position by making it snap directly behind you except sometimes it gets stuck at a weird down angle so you can't see shit in front of you. Let's make controlling your aiming reticle a complete pain in the ass because it's jittery as fuck and so much as blinking your eye will create enough momentum in your body to nudge the analog enough to fuck up your aim. Let's make your analog turning ability work in angles greater than one, so that when you're trying to line up with a thin platform and you snap the camera behind you, you're facing a little to the left or a little to the right, but not dead on because that would be too easy. Nothing is added to the game play except tedium.

This game was about 51% fun 49% frustrating. While there were quite a few puzzles that made me feel like a champ when I solved them, there were plenty that had me wanting to chuck my wave bird through the screen. I had to fight Andross a half dozen times because my thumb got tired of jamming the fire button during the boss battle.
    I really don't know why I bothered finishing it. But something made me keep on. It wasn't as awful as shoving a red hot fire poker up your pee hole, but it sure was tedious.

10. Did it present the promise of getting better? Did it lie about something?

Why'd you keep going?

We've all soldiered through some stinkers, but we don't soldier through every stinker. Why this stinker? You said you don't know, but you do know.